benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Re: Smartphone Stockfish-benchmarks

Post by Tord Romstad »

M ANSARI wrote:I do think that 64bit hardware will help tremendously in chess, but is there any engine designed for Android or Apple OS that runs in native 64 bits?
Stockfish for iOS does, and I am sure there are many others.
I think there would need to be new compiles specifically for 64 bits and not sure if Apple would accept as that would make the application void for basically all previous versions of hardware. I guess you could have the application with both 32 and 64 bit code, but maybe that would be very tricky to do.
Actually it is completely trivial to do: All you have to do is to tick off a checkbox and inspect and eliminate a few compiler warnings. The whole process took about 5 minutes for Stockfish.

The result is what Apple calls a "fat binary", which basically means two binaries for two different architectures merged into one. It's not a new technology, Apple did exactly the same during the transition from PowerPC to x86 CPUs in the Macintosh.

Of course, fat binaries are bigger, but for most applications, the binary size is just a tiny fraction of the total application size anyway. It's the data (in Stockfish's case, the opening book and the built-in PGN databases) that consumes disk space.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: Smartphone Stockfish-benchmarks

Post by kinderchocolate »

You just need to run SmallFish on iPhone 5s and you'll see the difference. SmallFish is 32 bits and is slower for the same engine.

M ANSARI wrote:
kinderchocolate wrote:
bretti wrote:I am not sure if there is a real comparison of the complete list. In the future it could be better to add informations about OS-version and App-version.

My results for some iOS-devices, using iOS 7.02 and Stockfish 2.7.0 (2013/09/26)

iPhone 5S:
1095.6 kN/s

iPad 4:
587.7 kN/s

iPad 3:
293.8 kN/s

Congratulation for upgrading to the 4 inch screen! Do you feel much better than the old 3.5? Now you can see three multi-pv variations on SmallChess! : - )

A7 chip itself is a much faster chip than A6. It also runs 64 bits which is a killer feature for chess. It is not a improvement for 99% of the application, but chess belong to the 1%. When I run the same engine on the same device for 32 bits, the improvement was just modest. My observation tell me the huge speed up is due to the 64 bits architecture.
I do think that 64bit hardware will help tremendously in chess, but is there any engine designed for Android or Apple OS that runs in native 64 bits? I think there would need to be new compiles specifically for 64 bits and not sure if Apple would accept as that would make the application void for basically all previous versions of hardware. I guess you could have the application with both 32 and 64 bit code, but maybe that would be very tricky to do.
daws

Re: Moto X and Galaxy Note 3 benchmarks ?

Post by daws »

mclane wrote:But you Look for Email, do websurfing, dual numbers and and and. The Board is Not always on top. I have no Problems with my Note 2 and you can believe me that i am heavily using it for chess. Its still the fastest mobile for Memory computerchess. Maybe the samsung galaxy S5 with 64 Bit exynos octacore will change in 2014. but today it is still fast as an Android phone.
I think that perhaps the Galaxy Note 3 (N9000) may be significantly faster than the Note 2.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

daws wrote:
mclane wrote:But you Look for Email, do websurfing, dual numbers and and and. The Board is Not always on top. I have no Problems with my Note 2 and you can believe me that i am heavily using it for chess. Its still the fastest mobile for Memory computerchess. Maybe the samsung galaxy S5 with 64 Bit exynos octacore will change in 2014. but today it is still fast as an Android phone.
I think that perhaps the Galaxy Note 3 (N9000) may be significantly faster than the Note 2.
I doubt that. If it has a qualcomm CPU, the mobile is slower due to small 1st Level Cache.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
daws

Post by daws »

mclane wrote:
daws wrote:
I doubt that. If it has a qualcomm CPU, the mobile is slower due to small 1st Level Cache.
The N9000 has an Exynos 5 Octa
4 Cortex-A15 @1.9 ghz and 4 Cortex-A7 @1.3 ghz

It's the N9005 which has the Qualcomm.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Actually I've bought the Note 3 this week.

How can I run the benchmark ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
mclane

Post by mclane »

Download droidfish.
Go into settings.
Set up parallel computation and Set cores to Maximum you have .
Leave settings. Press "M" on screen and choose Analysis Mode.
Program Runs from beginning Position and Shows Main line, search depth and NPS. Tell us the NPS value After roundabout 2 minutes computation.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Ponti wrote:Actually I've bought the Note 3 this week.

How can I run the benchmark ?
Basically what Czub said
"Download droidfish.
Go into settings.
Go to "threads" and set to 4 .
Leave settings. Press "M" on screen and choose Analysis Mode.
Program Runs from beginning Position and Shows Main line, search depth and NPS. Tell us the NPS value After roundabout 2 minutes computation.
mclane

Post by mclane »

So the new iPad has the same 64 bit CPU. Cool. And Samsung has reacted and claims to publish the s5 in January/February 2014 with a 64 bit octo core, the exynos 5430.

So finally we will make progress.
And maybe the stagnation that came with the Qualcomm CPUs will end now.

As far as I see it the note3 is sold in 2 versions and the exynos version is maybe better for chess. But it seems the Qualcomm version is sold in Europe .... Because the lack of lte ? Whatever.

IMO it makes sense to wait for the s5 next year or buying the new iPad.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

mclane wrote:So the new iPad has the same 64 bit CPU. Cool.
With, as usual, a probably slightly faster version of the A7, as Ars Technica notes :
Ars Technica wrote:One quick note on performance: the A7 in the iPhone 5S shares its name with the A7 in both iPads, but we may not be looking at exactly the same chip here. The A7 in the iPhone promises (and delivers, roughly) twice the CPU and GPU performance of the A6, while the A7 in the iPads promises twice the CPU and GPU performance of the more powerful A6X.
I'm really tempted to replace my full-size aging iPad 3 with the new iPad Mini, as it now also has a Retina display. It looks like the perfect tablet! :)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]