benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jhoravi

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by Jhoravi »

mclane wrote: The Galaxy S4 has been benchmarked and the Result is in the List. Although the value is low. Also the nexus4 Results were disapointing.
I think the Galaxy S4 on the list is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 version and not the Exynos 5 Octa with Cortex A15 processor.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Ok. Then we have to wait for another Benchmark.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

I'm going to try a few more stores with the note II.

What is the enyxos processor doing that the snapdragon is not doing.
The snapdragon is clocked at 1.9 while the enyxos at 1.6 yet the latter is over 700knps.

The integer benchmarks for snapdragon 1.9 is even higher than the enyxos processor at 1.6. But I though computer chess was all about integer calculations. So I don't know what's going on here.
Any computer scientists can shed light on this?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

h1a8 wrote:I'm going to try a few more stores with the note II.

The snapdragon is clocked at 1.9 while the enyxos at 1.6 yet the latter is over 700knps.

The integer benchmarks for snapdragon 1.9 is even higher than the enyxos processor at 1.6. But I though computer chess was all about integer calculations. So I don't know what's going on here.
The enyxos is 8 cores it seems. Snapdragon is 4. But it only uses maximum 4 of the 8 depending on usage ?

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... 5octa.html
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Modern Times wrote:

The enyxos is 8 cores it seems. Snapdragon is 4. But it only uses maximum 4 of the 8 depending on usage ?

The note II uses an older version of the exynos, a 4 core processor only. Your link is to the newer version (the 8 core version).
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

edit: duplicate
Last edited by Martin Thoresen on Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Modern Times wrote: The enyxos is 8 cores it seems. Snapdragon is 4. But it only uses maximum 4 of the 8 depending on usage ?

That's right, it won't use 8 at the same time.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

The enyxos has 32 cache size. All those snapdragons only 16. The size of the cpu cache is vry important for chedd. Tegra3 also has 32. Therefore the tegra3 hardware is superior for chess too. The krait is kind of celeron cpu. Handicapped with smaller cache.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

mclane wrote:

The enyxos has 32 cache size. All those snapdragons only 16. The size of the cpu cache is vry important for chedd. Tegra3 also has 32. Therefore the tegra3 hardware is superior for chess too. The krait is kind of celeron cpu. Handicapped with smaller cache.
That makes sense. Thanks!
Well can't wait for the tegra4 devices to come out and the note3.
I'm going sell my s4 in favor of the new note 3.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

mclane wrote:the e-ink mobiles are on the way to be released soon.
it will change our way how we use smartphones in the summer.

it will change our way how we use battery-life, cause e-ink cannot be beaten with amoled or whatever display.

i guess it will make much sense for chess too. chess has only black and white pieces. so e-ink is the right method.

lets see how this mobile works.

reading e-books or newspaper on the mobile will make more sense in the summer. so far with todays best mobiles, they fail in direct sun light.

this will change now.
IMO companies will soon come with mobiles that have 2 displays like the yota mobile.
the normal tft or amoled display on the front, for colorful FAST games.
and for twitter, chat, newspapers, ebooks and reading all kind of texts in the summer, the e-ink backsite.
you remember google nexus4 ? it has 2 glass sides, they would only have to make an e-ink on the backside to get a better usage in the summer.
when the battery gets weak, you change from the color display into the e-ink display. you can put a MAP of the area on the e-ink side.
the picture remains even when the mobile is switched off without using energy.
As for this intermision topic, Mirasol display is the future! Unlike e-ink, Mirasol retains all the color of conventional LCds at 6x less power.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/qualcomm-shows ... l-display/