benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jpqy

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by jpqy »

First test run on a Pipo max m9 tablet
Cortex-A9 Quad core Rockchip RK3188 1.6Ghz

Droidfish with Stockfish 3 running 4cores from start position in analyse mode:
After 1min. 512K
After 2min. 526K

Kind regards,
JP.
Albert Silver

LG Optimus 4x HD - 608,000 NPS

Post by Albert Silver »

I upgraded my phone to the LG Optimus 4x HD and ran the test. I got 608,000 NPS after two minutes (it was a bit higher after 1 minute circa 615 thousand). FWIW, I could not link the original article so do not know if my choice of 256MB hash was correct.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: LG Optimus 4x HD - 608,000 NPS

Post by mclane »

Albert Silver wrote:I upgraded my phone to the LG Optimus 4x HD and ran the test. I got 608,000 NPS after two minutes (it was a bit higher after 1 minute circa 615 thousand). FWIW, I could not link the original article so do not know if my choice of 256MB hash was correct.
IMO we use the default hash. which android version you use ??
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
mclane wrote:no new Galaxy S4 benchmark that gives better results ??
I'm curious to see the enyxos version. Anyone have the international version?
I imagine it would be slower than the US version for chess.
The note 2 uses a slower enyxos processor and it gets 700nps while the U.S. version of the s4 gets 450nps. Thus it's better for chess.

The international s4 has a faster enyxos chip than the note 2 has. Thus it makes more sense that it would get better results in chess than the U.S. version.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Make a Benchmark and you will find out. Just measure the nps.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

h1a8 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
The note 2 uses a slower enyxos processor and it gets 700nps while the U.S. version of the s4 gets 450nps. Thus it's better for chess.

The international s4 has a faster enyxos chip than the note 2 has. Thus it makes more sense that it would get better results in chess than the U.S. version.
There is no way the US version of the S4 is only getting 450 knps. It is a faster phone than mine, not 25% slower.
Last edited by Albert Silver on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

mclane wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:I upgraded my phone to the LG Optimus 4x HD and ran the test. I got 608,000 NPS after two minutes (it was a bit higher after 1 minute circa 615 thousand). FWIW, I could not link the original article so do not know if my choice of 256MB hash was correct.
4.2.2. using Cyanogenmod 10.1
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:

There is no way the S4 is only getting 450 knps.
That's what I been saying. I'm totally clueless here. I have the s4 and get 450. Others have reported the same thing. Maybe stockfish is not configured to work with the s4 properly. Maybe it's a bug that makes it incompatible with the qualcomm processor. IDK.

All I know is that the s4 blows everything else out of the water in all other benchmarks.

Let's test other chess programs (maybe critter on Chess for android) just to see if it's a bug.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

h1a8 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:

There is no way the S4 is only getting 450 knps.
That's what I been saying. I'm totally clueless here. I have the s4 and get 450. Others have reported the same thing. Maybe stockfish is not configured to work with the s4 properly. Maybe it's a bug that makes it incompatible with the qualcomm processor. IDK.

All I know is that the s4 blows everything else out of the water in all other benchmarks.

Let's test other chess programs (maybe critter on Chess for android) just to see if it's a bug.
I can test in CB for Android. I don't know how to start infinite analysis in Chess for Android. I tried but had not luck.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Albert Silver wrote:
mclane wrote:
4.2.2. using Cyanogenmod 10.1
This explains it. Old benchmark was done with stock 4.1.1.
Even 4.1.2 is faster. I am getting higher score then with 4.1.1. Cyanogenmod is of course faster.