benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jhoravi

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by Jhoravi »

If you all noticed, all the dissapointing chess scores come from QUALCOMM Krait Processors. I thought Its resolved in Snapdragon 600 used in Galaxy S4 because the CPU scored double in almost all benchmarks in Anandtech HTC One review. Everything but chess :-(. A faster Snapdragon 800 will be released this month but since its just the same underlying CPU, I woudnt count on it.

Our last hope is the Exynos variant of the Galaxy S4 with Cortex A15 CPUs. Another interesting to see is Lenovo K900 with intel Atom CPU.

Whats exciting is the birth of ARM 64bit next year along with Intels just announced Silvermont CPU
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Martin Thoresen wrote:I just benched my new Galaxy S4 and it seems it was kind of low at around 450 knps. I set 4 threads and 1 GB hash.

Shouldn't this one be higher? It has 4 cores at 1,9 GHz.
Repeat the test with single thread and 128 MB of Hash
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

mcostalba wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:I just benched my new Galaxy S4 and it seems it was kind of low at around 450 knps. I set 4 threads and 1 GB hash.

Yes. Maybe the mobile cpu cannot handle big hash sizes.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mclane

Post by mclane »

h1a8 wrote:
xiaomi and nexus have weak processors. Remember the note II gets 714knps. How is that when it has weaker processor than s4 (it has stronger processor than nexus 4 and xiaomi though).
Xiamoi mi2 and nexus4 and other mobiles have very high benchmarks, e.g. antutu:
htc one ~ 24.407
samsung galaxy s4 ~ 23.607
xiaomi mi2 ~21.000
xperia z ~ 20.031
nexus4 ~ 18.000
Note2 ~ 17.531

all those benchmarks are only made to sell new mobiles :-)) but for chess they are completely useless.

I think we have to wait for the first octal core mobiles. or the tegra4 platform.

in the moment the mobiles make no progress for chess. they only increase resolution of screen (i wonder why :-) and size of the display. instead of innovative ideas like putting an e-ink on the backside of the mobile giving sunlight readability they put 8 gpu cores in it and other nonsense.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

I noticed many years back that chess speed is strongly affected by L1 and L2 cache size. Bigger is better for chess. I just learned that Snapdragon Krait has only 16kb data + 16kb instruction caches while the rest of its contemporaries has 32+32. I believe thats the reason.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Jhoravi wrote:I noticed many years back that chess speed is strongly affected by L1 and L2 cache size. Bigger is better for chess. I just learned that Snapdragon Krait has only 16kb data + 16kb instruction caches while the rest of its contemporaries has 32+32. I believe thats the reason.
yes. in PC times we learned this with the AMD k6-2 and the AMD k6-3 where the k6-3 had a big cache and was very fast.

Tegra3 has 32/32 which makes it so good for chess. one of the best mobiles concerning price/speed is IMO the LG 4x HD. here in germany you can get it for 250 or less. if you consider that it has a very good chess benchmark (LG Optimus 4xHD (4 cores) 521.000 )and a very very bright display, its very good for doing chess.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

mcostalba wrote: Repeat the test with single thread and 128 MB of Hash
Droidfish updated to SF 3.

With a single thread and 128 MB hash it is around 130 kn/s.

Perhaps the CPU isn't running at full speed?
mclane

Post by mclane »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
mcostalba wrote: Repeat the test with single thread and 128 MB of Hash
Droidfish updated to SF 3.

With a single thread and 128 MB hash it is around 130 kn/s.

Perhaps the CPU isn't running at full speed?
could be. difficult to say.
note2 btw. has 168 NPS after 2'. NPS dropped from 182 to 168 btw.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

mclane wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

Yes. Maybe the mobile cpu cannot handle big hash sizes.
It is also worth noting that DroidFish restricts the amount of memory it lets the chess engine use, using the following function:

Code: Select all

private final int getHashMB(int hashMB) {
        if (hashMB > 16) {
            int maxMem = (int)(Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory() / (1024*1024));
            if &#40;maxMem < 16&#41;
                maxMem = 16;
            if &#40;hashMB > maxMem&#41;
                hashMB = maxMem;
        &#125;
        return hashMB;
    &#125;
On my HTC One X the maxMemory() function returns 64MB. The reason for this limitation is that otherwise I observed unstable behavior. In the best case only droidfish and the engine would get killed by the android os, but int the worst case android started killing other apps and made the whole system unstable.

The large hash settings in DroidFish are primarily intended to be used for "network engines" that run on a PC.
mclane

Post by mclane »

the e-ink mobiles are on the way to be released soon.
it will change our way how we use smartphones in the summer.

it will change our way how we use battery-life, cause e-ink cannot be beaten with amoled or whatever display.

i guess it will make much sense for chess too. chess has only black and white pieces. so e-ink is the right method.

lets see how this mobile works.

reading e-books or newspaper on the mobile will make more sense in the summer. so far with todays best mobiles, they fail in direct sun light.

this will change now.
IMO companies will soon come with mobiles that have 2 displays like the yota mobile.
the normal tft or amoled display on the front, for colorful FAST games.
and for twitter, chat, newspapers, ebooks and reading all kind of texts in the summer, the e-ink backsite.
you remember google nexus4 ? it has 2 glass sides, they would only have to make an e-ink on the backside to get a better usage in the summer.
when the battery gets weak, you change from the color display into the e-ink display. you can put a MAP of the area on the e-ink side.
the picture remains even when the mobile is switched off without using energy.