benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Locked
Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by Albert Silver » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:01 am

Cubeman wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:Apple's latest iOS development kit contains two separate 4-inch iPhone simulators; "iPhone Retina (4-inch)" and "iPhone Retina (4-inch 64-bit)". Stockfish is only about 5% faster in the 64-bit simulator.
Correction: It's actually about 35% faster. I just hadn't figured out how to compile a proper 64-bit binary. Of course, the speedup on an actual device may turn out to be bigger or smaller than this.
Apple own testing suggests that this new iphone will be 40x faster than the original.
Yes, the original iPhone 1. Serious.

Anyhow, is that such a surprise? Consider that my original testing of the Nook Color, only 2 years old, yielded a Stockfish count of 62KNPS, whereas my phone, which first came out in 2012 (I bought it quite cheap this year) already reaches over 10x that figure.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 18388
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by mclane » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:18 am

i am still quite happy with my samsung note2.

it was not expensive. it leads the list and the display is very big (5.5")
that is good for chess and web-surfing.

also the energy lasts very long because the battery is as huge as the screen is.

i am searching for a mobile that has better chess scores but so far found no better mobile.


Code: Select all

Samsung Galaxy Note2 (4 cores)          714.000
ASUS Transformer TF300T (4 cores)       661.000
Asus Infinity tf700 (4 cores)           590.000  new
Galaxy S3 (4 cores)                     574.000
Pipo max M9 (4x cortex a9 1.6 ghz)      526.000
LG Optimus 4xHD (4 cores)               521.000
ZTE geek v975 (2+2HT intel atom)        511.000  new
iPad4 (2 cores)                         510.000
Nexus 10  (2 cores)                     510.000  new
Amoi N828 (4 cores MTK6589 @ 4x1,2GHz)  493.000
iPhone 5 (2 cores)                      476.800
HTC one X tegra3 (4 cores)              470.000
google nexus 7 tablet pc (4 cores)      457.000
SamsungGalaxy S4(1.9Ghz,4 cores,1GBhash)450.000
Asus Transformer Prime (4 threads)      440.435
HTC one                                 438.000  new
Huawei P6 (Hi-SiliconK3V2 4x1.5)        405.000  new
Google Nexus4 (4 cores)                 400.000
Xiaomi Mi2                              386.000
Sony Xperia Z (4 cores)                 376.000
Oppo Find 5                             368.000
Samsung Galaxy 3 (2 core)               333.567
Galaxy Note                             329.000
Trekstor Surftab                        305.000
iPad mini (2 cores)                     277.500
iPad3 (2 cores)                         277.000
Ipad2 (2 cores)                         274.000
Motorola Razr i (2 cores hyperthread)   271.000
Sony Experia S (2 cores)                259.000
samsung galaxy S2                       253.000
iPhone 4S (Apple A5)                    225.500
Lenovo A660 (2 cores)                   222.000
Advent Vega Tegra2                      220.500
Sony Tablet S                           218.000
Motorola Razr xt910 (2 cores)           216.000
Motorola Razr HD                        212.000
LG Optimus Speed P990 (2 cores)         200.000
HTC one S qualcomm s4 (2 cores)         200.000
Samsung Galaxy SIII 1.5GHz (2 Cores)    189.867
Motorola Razr i (1 core)                186.000
Nuu Nu1 (qualcom dualcore 1.7 Ghz)      142.000
samsung epic                            141.000
HTC Flyer, 1.5 Ghz                      140.000
Advent Vega Tablet (2 cores)            137.126
Dell Streak                             133.000
Samsung Vibrant                         111.000
Samsung Galaxy Tab                      108.500
LG Optimus 2x                           102.000
HTC HD2 1 Ghz 1 core                     94.000
HTC Desire S                             90.000
HTC Desire                               84.000
iPhone 4                                 80.000
ipod touch 4                             78.000   
samsung galaxy s                         70.000
7-inch Barnes and Noble Color            62.500
Sony PRS-T1 ebook-reader                 53.817
iPhone 3GS                               51.000
HTC Wildfire S                           31.000
Android phone Qualcomm 600MHz (1 core)   25.750
Ipod touch 2nd gen                       16.500
Palm Pre oc. 1Ghz (Webos1.4.5)           16.000
ZT-180 10,2" Pad                         15.345
Palm Pre oc. 800mhz (Webos1.4.5)         13.000
APAD Rockchip 600mhz (android1.5)        10.000
Palm Pre 500mhz (Webos1.4.5)              8.000
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

Tord Romstad
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by Tord Romstad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:44 am

Cubeman wrote:Apple own testing suggests that this new iphone will be 40x faster than the original. From looking at the list I imagine the 3G would be about 50kn/s so it is quite feasible that new version will break the 800kn/s mark.
Actually, if I recall correctly (which is far from sure; as it is a really long time ago), the original iOS version of Glaurung only did about 12kN/s on my iPhone 3G. The current Stockfish version -- which would probably be slower than that old Glaurung version when running on identical hardware -- searches around 250kN/s on my iPhone 4S, and 310kN/s on my iPad 3. I expect the iPhone 5S to be at least twice as fast.
And if your personal attempt at modifying for 64 bit could possibly break the 1000kn/s. I know that these guesses are vague and would not bet money on them as previous extrapolations have been wrong but just want to put it out there.
Yes, we'll have to wait and see, but the current version is strong enough even on the iPhone 4S that the actual speedup on the most recent devices really doesn't matter unless you're an elite grandmaster. And for those few who need the fastest possible analysis, running a remote engine on a real computer is a far better option anyway (and I'm already looking into better and more user-friendly ways to achieve that).

h1a8
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 am

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by h1a8 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 am

Tord Romstad wrote:
Cubeman wrote:Apple own testing suggests that this new iphone will be 40x faster than the original. From looking at the list I imagine the 3G would be about 50kn/s so it is quite feasible that new version will break the 800kn/s mark.
Actually, if I recall correctly (which is far from sure; as it is a really long time ago), the original iOS version of Glaurung only did about 12kN/s on my iPhone 3G. The current Stockfish version -- which would probably be slower than that old Glaurung version when running on identical hardware -- searches around 250kN/s on my iPhone 4S, and 310kN/s on my iPad 3. I expect the iPhone 5S to be at least twice as fast.
And if your personal attempt at modifying for 64 bit could possibly break the 1000kn/s. I know that these guesses are vague and would not bet money on them as previous extrapolations have been wrong but just want to put it out there.
Yes, we'll have to wait and see, but the current version is strong enough even on the iPhone 4S that the actual speedup on the most recent devices really doesn't matter unless you're an elite grandmaster. And for those few who need the fastest possible analysis, running a remote engine on a real computer is a far better option anyway (and I'm already looking into better and more user-friendly ways to achieve that).
Is there a remote android option in the works?

Tord Romstad
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by Tord Romstad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:05 am

h1a8 wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:And for those few who need the fastest possible analysis, running a remote engine on a real computer is a far better option anyway (and I'm already looking into better and more user-friendly ways to achieve that).
Is there a remote android option in the works?
Well, sort of. I'm working on a web app for playing against a chess engine remotely. The web app should be usable from any device with a modern browser, and I'll probably make some effort to make it look and feel vaguely like a native app on iOS and Android. A little further down the road, I plan a native iOS client. I don't have the time, competence or interest to write a native Android client, but I'll gladly provide somebody else with all the information necessary to do so when that time arrives.

Please note, however, that this is a project I am working on at my job (with the aim of learning Clojure) while I have nothing more important to do. It may be have to put aside on short notice if some more important task shows up. Writing free chess software, unfortunately, doesn't bring in a lot of money.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9773
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Tord Romstad wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:And for those few who need the fastest possible analysis, running a remote engine on a real computer is a far better option anyway (and I'm already looking into better and more user-friendly ways to achieve that).
Is there a remote android option in the works?
Well, sort of. I'm working on a web app for playing against a chess engine remotely. The web app should be usable from any device with a modern browser, and I'll probably make some effort to make it look and feel vaguely like a native app on iOS and Android. A little further down the road, I plan a native iOS client. I don't have the time, competence or interest to write a native Android client, but I'll gladly provide somebody else with all the information necessary to do so when that time arrives.

Please note, however, that this is a project I am working on at my job (with the aim of learning Clojure) while I have nothing more important to do. It may be have to put aside on short notice if some more important task shows up. Writing free chess software, unfortunately, doesn't bring in a lot of money.
I'll be waiting there :D

Thanks Tord and good luck....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

petero2
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by petero2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 pm

h1a8 wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:And for those few who need the fastest possible analysis, running a remote engine on a real computer is a far better option anyway (and I'm already looking into better and more user-friendly ways to achieve that).
Is there a remote android option in the works?
Both Chess for Android and DroidFish can be configured to use a remote engine. For Chess for Android, see http://aartbik.blogspot.se/2012/03/conn ... emote.html. For DroidFish, see the "UCI engines on a remote server" section in the help.

User avatar
JuLieN
Posts: 2948
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Nantes (France)
Contact:

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by JuLieN » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 am

Nice new design for Stockfish for iOS, Tord, thanks! :D

The NPS is unchanged: around 277/278 KNs on my iPad 3.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
Image [Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]

Tord Romstad
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by Tord Romstad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am

JuLieN wrote:Nice new design for Stockfish for iOS, Tord, thanks! :D
I'm glad you like it! In case you haven't noticed, it is not only a visual change: You can now tap a move in the move list to jump directly to that move, which is really convenient.
The NPS is unchanged: around 277/278 KNs on my iPad 3.
It's not very meaningful to compare, since the engine versions are very different. Version 2.4, if I recall correctly, used an engine version based on Stockfish 1.7 or 1.8. Version 2.6.0 is based on a development version from Thursday or Friday last week.

Your numbers look a little lower than they should be, though. I also have an iPad 3, and the new Stockfish does around 300kN/s from the initial position.

kinderchocolate
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 am
Full name: Ted Wong
Contact:

Re: benchmark new smartphones: huawei ascend p6

Post by kinderchocolate » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 pm

iPhone 5s, 64 bits, iOS 7 Stockfish

1152 KN/s

Locked