Critter 1.6 released!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ron Langeveld

Re: Critter 1.6 released!

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Don wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Don wrote:..
he will be helpless unless I can get over there.
Maybe something you have tried already but how about using TeamViewer for Linux to remotely access Larry's computer ?

Ron
Is it going to work between reboots and can it put cd's in the drive and remove them when needed?

I can already get to Larry's machine via ssh - I'm just afraid that if I screw it up I'm not there to fix it and may need to fuss with recovery disks and such.
Either stick to maintenance that doesn't require reboots or depend on Larry to be able to reboot and restart the remote session. If the procedure you are planning is risky and could require rescue disks then I suppose such a tool can't replace a techie on the spot ;)
Don

Post by Don »

Ron Langeveld wrote:
Don wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Maybe something you have tried already but how about using TeamViewer for Linux to remotely access Larry's computer ?

Ron
Is it going to work between reboots and can it put cd's in the drive and remove them when needed?

I can already get to Larry's machine via ssh - I'm just afraid that if I screw it up I'm not there to fix it and may need to fuss with recovery disks and such.
Either stick to maintenance that doesn't require reboots or depend on Larry to be able to reboot and restart the remote session. If the procedure you are planning is risky and could require rescue disks then I suppose such a tool can't replace a techie on the spot ;)
It turns out that another tester is having the same problem with Critter 1.6. So maybe for now I will just stop using Critter 1.6. Critter 1.4 is pretty powerful anyway.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Is +2 elo making a lot difference in your testing :)
Jouni
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Don wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:

Ron

I have seen TeamViewer for Windows in action, if you can instruct Larry on the phone simultaneously I think you can do a lot, you can see everything Larry is up to doing, as long as it is happening in sight on Larry's Linux desktop. Linux is maybe less helpful visually here, if it requires command line instructions instead of drag and dropping programs to folders for instance. And no, I don't think it can put CDs in the drive yet and will not survive a reboot :)

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Thanks for the info and the new version.

To whom it may concern, it works fine on xubuntu 12.04 64.
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.