To Catch Houdini- 1st You Have To Shut Up!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

To Catch Houdini- 1st You Have To Shut Up!

Post by geots »

Except for 1 programmer I would like to see catch Houdini (and he knows who he is), I don't have a horse in this race. But all I have to do is go thru this whole page of garbage to see the programmers who for sure have no chance of ever catching Robert. I put the challenge on the table with Vas and Rybka- and I put the same challenge on the table with Robert and Houdini. No takers. So Fruit made Vas and Ivanhoe made Robert. I will say it one more time: Fruit is open source and Ivanhoe is open source. So all programmers have the same info available to them. Use it to catch Robert, Vas- or both. I put money on the table and had no takers. The ones who had already tried knew it was futile.

Everyone was so busy talking that they did not even realize the enormity of the statement Robert made right here on this page- and it is still on this page. And I will bet good money you still can't find it after I told you where it is. It speaks volumes and is at the heart of the Vas-Rybka-Fruit issue as well. Because the only other time I had ever heard the EXACT statement was in private- from Vas!

It is important- because it tells you why you cannot catch Houdini and another program whose last release was over 2 years ago. Hint: it wasn't any particular lines of code from Fruit or the Ivanhoes that benefited Vas and Robert. Obviously- because if it had been, we would have programs with the strength of Rybka and Houdini coming out of our ears. There is a good reason we don't- and likely never will.

There is one particular guy on Immortal (certainly NOT PP), and Jim Ablett knows of who I speak- who has spent more time when he is not working trying to figure out exactly what Robert did than all the rest put together. He has made it a mission. He knows more about the Ivanhoes than the programmers themselves. Ask him if it was direct code from Ivanhoe that made Houdini. He will tell you quick- not a chance in hell. So what is the secret? Robert Houdart told you right here- and you still don't have a clue.
Learn to listen more and talk less.

gts
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: To Catch Houdini- 1st You Have To Shut Up!

Post by hgm »

Why are you obsessed with catching Houdini? Why do you think that others even care about Houdini? Let alone talk about it? :shock:
IWB

Post by IWB »

hgm wrote:Why are you obsessed with catching Houdini? Why do you think that others even care about Houdini? Let alone talk about it? :shock:
I second that! Every time this topic is gone he starts it all over again. It IS an obsession! In a chat room he would be muzzled already!

Bye
Ingo
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote:Why are you obsessed with catching Houdini? Why do you think that others even care about Houdini? Let alone talk about it? :shock:
Serious question: What would you suggest? What should a community do with really obsessed people in fora? Shouldn't the community protect such people from themselfes by banning? Or wait until they develop a terminal paranoia? I am sure I am not the only one who drew back from here because of such sick statements withouit a chance of factual discussion.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Well it is the strongest engine by quite a long way. I'm really looking forward to something stronger, probably Houdini 3
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Looking at forum posts you can tell that there are certain developers that want to catch and surpass Houdini, also there are many posts on many sites where there is active discussion about Houdini.It seems that even you are interested in Houdini :shock:
solis

Post by solis »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Serious question: What would you suggest? What should a community do with really obsessed people in fora? Shouldn't the community protect such people from themselfes by banning? Or wait until they develop a terminal paranoia? I am sure I am not the only one who drew back from here because of such sick statements withouit a chance of factual discussion.
Guys, don't make fools of yourselves.Go back and read again what George is saying.You are totally missing his point.This is not primary school where teacher has to explain the meaning of what was written here.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Cubeman wrote:Looking at forum posts you can tell that there are certain developers that want to catch and surpass Houdini, also there are many posts on many sites where there is active discussion about Houdini.It seems that even you are interested in Houdini :shock:
I didn't see any such active discussion here...

What makes you think I would be interested in Houdini? It doesn't even play Spartan Chess! (Let alone Chu Shogi, which is what I am currently working on...)
gerold

Post by gerold »

Do the think that some of the folks in "That" other forum appreciate Robert making money on his Houdini program.

Best,
Gerold.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

solis wrote:Guys, don't make fools of yourselves.Go back and read again what George is saying.You are totally missing his point.This is not primary school where teacher has to explain the meaning of what was written here.
Maybe you missed the point. His endless iteration of this topic is obviosly obsessive. I think he needs some help.