Playchess kibitz limit of 30 games ?!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Hugo

Playchess kibitz limit of 30 games ?!

Post by Hugo »

Hi all

since a few days, the limit of kibitzing games at playchess is massive limited. Only 30 games you can kibitz inbetween 24 hrs. I want to complain against that rule with my posting here. I am well known as an enemie of the permanent kibitzers and the kibitzbots. But I must say that 30 games kibitz limit is much too less. I also look (rarely) into some intersting games at playchess, especially when a tournament is running. 30 games limit I reach verry fast. I think this is not acceptable.

Any other playchess users that have an opinion about this?

best regards, Clemens Keck
Ozymandias

Re: Playchess kibitz limit of 30 games ?!

Post by Ozymandias »

The funny thing about this new policy is the fact that TDs can't now keep watch of the games from their own tournaments! If there's any complaint, they can't asses the situation.
Personally, I don't care much about the limits, as part of a sharing group you only need more people to make up for it. As long as they don't plan on releasing the games themselves and keep with their current powerbook scheme, I'm happy.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Hugo wrote:Hi all

since a few days, the limit of kibitzing games at playchess is massive limited. Only 30 games you can kibitz inbetween 24 hrs. I want to complain against that rule with my posting here. I am well known as an enemie of the permanent kibitzers and the kibitzbots. But I must say that 30 games kibitz limit is much too less. I also look (rarely) into some intersting games at playchess, especially when a tournament is running. 30 games limit I reach verry fast. I think this is not acceptable.

I investigated this, and while true, it applied to only the Engine room. It was a result of interminable complaints by a group of users on others who never played, and only harvested games.

That said, I appealed to the powers above and as of Monday there will be a compromise. The outgoing flat limit in the Engine room will be 100 games observed, however this can be changed if the user also plays, in which case the proportion will be 5-1. Meaning for every game played, that kibitzer limit is extended by 5.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

You are talking about games being played in the engine room, the ones you play in the main hall don't count, right?
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ozymandias wrote:You are talking about games being played in the engine room, the ones you play in the main hall don't count, right?
Yes, i am pretty sure he means only those in the engine room and the machines a and b where tournaments are played. the solution proposed by Albert seems like a good one.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Albert Silver wrote:

I investigated this, and while true, it applied to only the Engine room. It was a result of interminable complaints by a group of users on others who never played, and only harvested games.

That said, I appealed to the powers above and as of Monday there will be a compromise. The outgoing flat limit in the Engine room will be 100 games observed, however this can be changed if the user also plays, in which case the proportion will be 5-1. Meaning for every game played, that kibitzer limit is extended by 5.
Is there actually anything wrong with paying customers choosing to use the product for watching and collecting games in the various game rooms?
Perhaps if there is, it should be made clear to them in some way before they buy the product?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
MM

Post by MM »

Graham Banks wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Is there actually anything wrong with paying customers choosing to use the product for watching and collecting games in the various game rooms?
Perhaps if there is, it should be made clear to them in some way before they buy the product?
+1
MM
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

Is this ment to prevent data mining?