8 core tournament with live broadcast

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

8 core tournament with live broadcast

Post by Graham Banks »

At the end of the month (when I have a two week break from work), I intend running a tournament with each engine using up to 8 cores (ponder off).

It will be a non-CCRL tournament run at a 40/40 repeating time control and will be broadcast through either Playchess or TLCV.

It will be open to private engines, latest beta versions, as well as publicly available ones.
Any authors wishing for their private engine or latest beta to participate should contact me by email.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Kingghidorah

Re: 8 core tournament with live broadcast

Post by Kingghidorah »

Graham Banks wrote:At the end of the month (when I have a two week break from work), I intend running a tournament with each engine using up to 8 cores (ponder off).

It will be a non-CCRL tournament run at a 40/40 repeating time control and will be broadcast through either Playchess or TLCV.

It will be open to private engines, latest beta versions, as well as publicly available ones.
Any authors wishing for their private engine or latest beta to participate should contact me by email.
Let us know when you're going to do it. I'll be watching some of it.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Kingghidorah wrote:Let us know when you're going to do it. I'll be watching some of it.
Yes - I'll certainly give advance warning. I'll be hoping to get it set up and started in the last weekend of June. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Graham Banks wrote:At the end of the month (when I have a two week break from work), I intend running a tournament with each engine using up to 8 cores (ponder off).

Dear Graham,

Your new idea sounds very good...

I hope there will be many engine registrations

Best,
Sedat
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

If it is not exclusively for the big boys, I would like to participate with scorpio. Enjoy your break.
Suj

Post by Suj »

Is this tournament more like an engine test tournament played on the same 8 core machine 2 engines at a time?

If not why not just run a playchess tour at 40/40 and invite private engines too?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Daniel Shawul wrote:If it is not exclusively for the big boys, I would like to participate with scorpio. Enjoy your break.
I was thinking of a Swiss, so it wouldn't just be for the big boys. I'll be looking at including engines such as Scorpio, Tornado and others of similar or lesser strength.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Suj wrote:Is this tournament more like an engine test tournament played on the same 8 core machine 2 engines at a time?

If not why not just run a playchess tour at 40/40 and invite private engines too?
Yes, it will be an automated tournament run on an octal.
If I have Deep Fritz 13 by the time I'm ready to set the tournament up, I'll be looking to use that GUI to run the tournament on.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Hi Graham.

Will ask Philippe Fabiani to enter with latest version of Delphil. I am sure Roberto Munther will also send you latest version of Vitruvius.

Cheers,

Gab
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gleperlier wrote:Hi Graham.

Will ask Philippe Fabiani to enter with latest version of Delphil. I am sure Roberto Munther will also send you latest version of Vitruvius.

Cheers,

Gab
Thanks Gab. I'm quite looking forward to running an 8 core tourney for the first time. However, I'll only do it now and then because my main priority on that computer is 40/40 4CPU testing for CCRL.

One thing I have noticed though is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in live broadcasts of 4CPU tournaments, so I'm not going to hold my breath over an 8 core one.
Doesn't worry me too much though because my main motivation for running them is fun. If a few authors and enthusiasts also get some enjoyment or worth out of them, that's just an added bonus.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com