Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

As a PARTICIPANT, would you allow Houdini and Rybka to participate?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am

Yes
61%
No
21%
Only Houdini
8%
Only Rybka
11%

Total votes: 66

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:I see your point, but how would a 9 round swiss determine the best candidate to move on to face the Champion?
It would not. The problem is that you give the old World Champion a free ticket to the finals, not so much how you select the challenger, that will always grant the WC about 50% chance to prologation, while all others have to divide up the other 50%.

The excessively large number of games in the challenge match does not contribute much to the accuracy. The extra games would be better spent to select the challenger.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

hgm wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:I see your point, but how would a 9 round swiss determine the best candidate to move on to face the Champion?
It would not. The problem is that you give the old World Champion a free ticket to the finals, not so much how you select the challenger, that will always grant the WC about 50% chance to prologation, while all others have to divide up the other 50%.

The excessively large number of games in the challenge match does not contribute much to the accuracy. The extra games would be better spent to select the challenger.
Is this not how it works under FIDE? Anand is the champ, and everyone else goes through a contenders tournament with the winner facing Anand?

How is this different from boxing? Olympics? There is a champion and everyone else fighting to face the champion.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Cubeman wrote:Which begs the question why FIDE choose Houdini as the engine of choice for there analysis engine from recent human WCC.
http://moscow2012.fide.com/
No mention of Hiarcs or Crafty.
Good point :!:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:so what is the point of this poll?
Perhaps people are tired of the Programmers ban?
Then good luck in getting the real authors to play.
What I said above.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Hi Peter,

I would suggest you try to make the best tournament you can, try to involve the best engines in by sending emails, pm etc.

Don't call it "Real WCCC", but even Peter Skinner Tournament if you want.

Try to have sponsors, try to have GM make your best.

Then no mater to argue here with everyone. You have energy, then move, go on and make it real :!:

I wish you good luck.

Just my 2 cents

Gab
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:Is this not how it works under FIDE? Anand is the champ, and everyone else goes through a contenders tournament with the winner facing Anand?

How is this different from boxing? Olympics? There is a champion and everyone else fighting to face the champion.
The difference there is that also a lot of effort goes into selecting the challenger. At least in the time of Bobby Fischer the candidates had to face each other in a pre-tournament with 10 to 12 games per pairing.

In combination with a method of selecting the challenger that is not much better than a lottery it is a bad idea.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

hgm wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:Is this not how it works under FIDE? Anand is the champ, and everyone else goes through a contenders tournament with the winner facing Anand?

The difference there is that also a lot of effort goes into selecting the challenger. At least in the time of Bobby Fischer the candidates had to face each other in a pre-tournament with 10 to 12 games per pairing.

In combination with a method of selecting the challenger that is not much better than a lottery it is a bad idea.
HG, you keep throwing water, propose something. How about a 4 way championship tournament where the champion gets one spot and contenders play for the other three?

Best
Dan H.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Dan Honeycutt wrote: HG, you keep throwing water, propose something. How about a 4 way championship tournament where the champion gets one spot and contenders play for the other three?
Personally I think that is not a bad idea. How about, top 3 from swiss qualify. if they are within 3 points of the top score? (I know, statistically, you can still get some weaker engines on top in a swiss; but this is still an improvement).

--Jon
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote: HG, you keep throwing water, propose something. How about a 4 way championship tournament where the champion gets one spot and contenders play for the other three?
Personally I think that is not a bad idea. How about, top 3 from swiss qualify. if they are within 3 points of the top score? (I know, statistically, you can still get some weaker engines on top in a swiss; but this is still an improvement).

--Jon
9 round Swiss to determine the top 4 candidates
1 plays 4 12 game match
2 plays 3 12 game match

Winner of those two play for the Championship. Winner of the final becomes World Champion....

Could work, no?

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

All this tournament is for is to feed the ego and wallet of the person who runs it.