Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

As a PARTICIPANT, would you allow Houdini and Rybka to participate?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am

Yes
61%
No
21%
Only Houdini
8%
Only Rybka
11%

Total votes: 66

jdart

Re: Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Post by jdart »

I think this is quite an astute analysis.

I suspect some will have an issue with this bit:
Peter Berger wrote:All the „original“ authors seem to cheat too
and I don't actually think that's true, but on the other hand, I personally think ICGA's quest to purge computer chess competitions from non-original entries has been somewhat counter-productive. As you note it has resulted in a reduced field of participants that doesn't actually include the strongest engines, which makes the idea that it is a world championship somewhat questionable. And there are a bunch of fairness issues, including the fact that not all participants have received equal scrutiny (in athletics, at least they test everybody). And IMHO it has been a distraction from ICGA's mission (http://ilk.uvt.nl/icga/organisation/), which last I checked did not include enforcing purity tests for programs.

--Jon
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Peter Berger wrote:This discussion about engine originality has been going on for years now with no acceptable decision and solution found.

I liked a little thing Chris Whittington posted in one of the more technical threads a few days ago ( quote from memory): „Let's keep this discussion slow, so that the lays can follow. Ultimately it's them who decide.“
Of course I am aware of the irony here ;), but actually he is absolutely right about this in my opinion.

In the meantime the ICGA tournaments have lost all the credibility they used to have with the chess public in the past. Why? Because of the „known“ clones? If yes, then only in a very roundabout way.
The main problem is that everyone can just download some free engine from the Internet that's most probably stronger than any „world champion“ according to the ICGA.
If you read „New in Chess“ e.g. all the top grandmasters use Houdini or Stockfish for their game comments, and it is obvious that they couldn't care less about the clone discussions or who the world champion is – they care about the quality of the chess analysis they get.

If there was like one or two obvious offenders only - and everony else was absolutely „clean“, you could explain this to the people easily and make them care. E.g. people grudgingly accepted that Ben Johnson was no olympic champion in the 100 meters run as he was doped and you could make them believe the others weren't.

In a similar way you could easily explain to people the case of Gunda ( someone just changing the name of the engine and some strings and claiming it to be his own).

And if someone just blindly copied something relevant verbatim in a most obvious way and this was still kind of unsual in the competitive environment, you can get people to accept that this is cheating.

But the current reality in computerchess land is different. All the „original“ authors seem to cheat too ( at least if you look at it from a layman's point of view). It would be most easy to dig up zillions of messages here of „original“ authors who discuss reverse engineering other engines to find ideas they can implement in their own engines . Some – like the Komodo author – even make progress reports how some idea of someone else kind of works for him and some others don't.

The current situation in computerchess land is basically like the Tour de France IMHO. Everyone knows that like everybody else is doped – and that the only thing that matters is that some cyclist doesn't get caught for him to have a chance to be competitive.
So people stopped to care about the Tour de France.

If you wanted to still have a programmer competition to be credible to the public, you'd probably have to make it „Open Source“with loads of code checks only This might at least work for some time ( it won't work in the long run though - as the ideas happen to be out there).

Or you stop demanding originality ( you will still want to keep some basic rules even the , to avoid too blatant cases of copying but you lower the current demands for „original programs“).
But if say Junior became world champion beating Houdini and Rybka in the tournament, the chess public would care.
It won't if Junior beats Crafty to become world champion.

I see no possibility to work around this problem, as if nothing had happened.

Peter
I saw your article just right now, so excuse please the delay. Perhaps I have explanation and solution for your problem.

But let me first remember my first time in the internet computerchess. I was already very old then that was one aspect and then I came out of a naively theoretical and academic ethical sphere. Soon I found out that there was a visible because open split into parties led by different business companies. Imediately I was accused for lying and espionage. For the "other" side of the guy I was talking to. At the instant I chose to make it a total game by pretending that I were 22. In fact I had my 23 rd birthday at the time on the net. Nobody doubted me anymore. Nobody, really none accused me of faking my age because for 22 I just knew too much, but apparently my bad English hid the truth for most readers.

Why did I start a veritable war on Ed with his Rebel company? Unbelievable but from my view as academic I simply found it a cheat to just do business as usual and make some attractions to get potential customers. You might laugh but this is why I hated Ed. So, in terms of normal people without a sensible reason at all. But I had my guidelines.

My solution for your problem is if we returned to academic ethics and guidelines.

Just to shorten this, I jump to the next point. All critiques of Vas who has a veritable degree in computer sciences of the MIT one of the best institution in the USA, came from lays, wannabe academics aka fools or deceived potential academics but no true academic not to speak of highest ranks like professors. Only exception Hyatt. (obsessed)

Next point. Academia isnt free or sane of cheats and fraud. Trivially those who have defined the rules are nothing smarter or less evil as human beings than the potential academics.

There is no human life without trust and confidence into the righteousness of things in the real world. But surprise, also the real world as we live it is man-made. Everywhere people have made their social rules. That's so interesting to experience foreign rules if you go abroad on a visit. It were much more difficult if you decided to emigrate.

Now my solution. The rise into academic heights is combined with ethical education because you must always pass the examinations step after step. Only few amokers remain undetected. Or better said from a certain level upward you cant make serious controls. Because of the funny you know that I know that you know etc. This is called freedom of mind.

I see Vas innocent mainly for the reason because with his talent he didnt need to cheat. But I know that the rules of the ICGA are no way sufficient to exclude cheats. And after passing the checks at MIT I am certain that it was no problem for Vas to avoid difficulties in ICGA.

Only danger came with Hyatt obsessed. Someone who day and d night is on a FBI raid, being executioneer and everything. The rest is history.

You might ask me if I really believed that academics are all honest and sober? Yes and no. No, because we are all too human. Many already cheated in the dissertation - we had the topic during the past two years. Many have money and buy training hours and therefore pass the examinations but not because they are more talented than others. It's just that they spend time and money to become familiar with the field thex had chosen. Bob Hyatt is a good example. He almost spent 20 years in a sphere and was finally promoted but I swear, you had also made the same career, Peter. It's always the same being there having done that before. It's like living in a street. In ten years you know a whole quartier.

In that understanding what is cheating?

It was a very early statement of Vas, that the rules in ICGA were imperfect or nonexisting. How serious you can take it?

Normally you dont expect the institution that has no clear rules to suddenly allow or incite an evil hate campaign like the dirty panel.

I feel sorry for David, whose kingdom has been destroyed by his own overreaction with the lifetime ban of Vas.

If the few academics had united and decided that they would continue the show but therefore would exclude everything criminal like these stealers and unknown publishers. Of course the ICGA couldnt forbid stealing and crimes but they could have declared that they would simply ignore such acticvities - but not those of their best talent, Vas Rajlich. Of course that would require that Bob Hyatt would become unobsessed and decent. He is a nice guy but when his tender spot is touched... well! You know what I mean. It's just the human drama.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

Rolf wrote:
Peter Berger wrote:This discussion about engine originality has been going on for years now with no acceptable decision and solution found.

I liked a little thing Chris Whittington posted in one of the more technical threads a few days ago ( quote from memory): „Let's keep this discussion slow, so that the lays can follow. Ultimately it's them who decide.“
Of course I am aware of the irony here ;), but actually he is absolutely right about this in my opinion.

In the meantime the ICGA tournaments have lost all the credibility they used to have with the chess public in the past. Why? Because of the „known“ clones? If yes, then only in a very roundabout way.
The main problem is that everyone can just download some free engine from the Internet that's most probably stronger than any „world champion“ according to the ICGA.
If you read „New in Chess“ e.g. all the top grandmasters use Houdini or Stockfish for their game comments, and it is obvious that they couldn't care less about the clone discussions or who the world champion is – they care about the quality of the chess analysis they get.

If there was like one or two obvious offenders only - and everony else was absolutely „clean“, you could explain this to the people easily and make them care. E.g. people grudgingly accepted that Ben Johnson was no olympic champion in the 100 meters run as he was doped and you could make them believe the others weren't.

In a similar way you could easily explain to people the case of Gunda ( someone just changing the name of the engine and some strings and claiming it to be his own).

And if someone just blindly copied something relevant verbatim in a most obvious way and this was still kind of unsual in the competitive environment, you can get people to accept that this is cheating.

But the current reality in computerchess land is different. All the „original“ authors seem to cheat too ( at least if you look at it from a layman's point of view). It would be most easy to dig up zillions of messages here of „original“ authors who discuss reverse engineering other engines to find ideas they can implement in their own engines . Some – like the Komodo author – even make progress reports how some idea of someone else kind of works for him and some others don't.

The current situation in computerchess land is basically like the Tour de France IMHO. Everyone knows that like everybody else is doped – and that the only thing that matters is that some cyclist doesn't get caught for him to have a chance to be competitive.
So people stopped to care about the Tour de France.

If you wanted to still have a programmer competition to be credible to the public, you'd probably have to make it „Open Source“with loads of code checks only This might at least work for some time ( it won't work in the long run though - as the ideas happen to be out there).

Or you stop demanding originality ( you will still want to keep some basic rules even the , to avoid too blatant cases of copying but you lower the current demands for „original programs“).
But if say Junior became world champion beating Houdini and Rybka in the tournament, the chess public would care.
It won't if Junior beats Crafty to become world champion.

I see no possibility to work around this problem, as if nothing had happened.

Peter
I saw your article just right now, so excuse please the delay. Perhaps I have explanation and solution for your problem.

But let me first remember my first time in the internet computerchess. I was already very old then that was one aspect and then I came out of a naively theoretical and academic ethical sphere. Soon I found out that there was a visible because open split into parties led by different business companies. Imediately I was accused for lying and espionage. For the "other" side of the guy I was talking to. At the instant I chose to make it a total game by pretending that I were 22. In fact I had my 23 rd birthday at the time on the net. Nobody doubted me anymore. Nobody, really none accused me of faking my age because for 22 I just knew too much, but apparently my bad English hid the truth for most readers.

Why did I start a veritable war on Ed with his Rebel company? Unbelievable but from my view as academic I simply found it a cheat to just do business as usual and make some attractions to get potential customers. You might laugh but this is why I hated Ed. So, in terms of normal people without a sensible reason at all. But I had my guidelines.

My solution for your problem is if we returned to academic ethics and guidelines.

Just to shorten this, I jump to the next point. All critiques of Vas who has a veritable degree in computer sciences of the MIT one of the best institution in the USA, came from lays, wannabe academics aka fools or deceived potential academics but no true academic not to speak of highest ranks like professors. Only exception Hyatt. (obsessed)

Next point. Academia isnt free or sane of cheats and fraud. Trivially those who have defined the rules are nothing smarter or less evil as human beings than the potential academics.

There is no human life without trust and confidence into the righteousness of things in the real world. But surprise, also the real world as we live it is man-made. Everywhere people have made their social rules. That's so interesting to experience foreign rules if you go abroad on a visit. It were much more difficult if you decided to emigrate.

Now my solution. The rise into academic heights is combined with ethical education because you must always pass the examinations step after step. Only few amokers remain undetected. Or better said from a certain level upward you cant make serious controls. Because of the funny you know that I know that you know etc. This is called freedom of mind.

I see Vas innocent mainly for the reason because with his talent he didnt need to cheat. But I know that the rules of the ICGA are no way sufficient to exclude cheats. And after passing the checks at MIT I am certain that it was no problem for Vas to avoid difficulties in ICGA.

Only danger came with Hyatt obsessed. Someone who day and d night is on a FBI raid, being executioneer and everything. The rest is history.

You might ask me if I really believed that academics are all honest and sober? Yes and no. No, because we are all too human. Many already cheated in the dissertation - we had the topic during the past two years. Many have money and buy training hours and therefore pass the examinations but not because they are more talented than others. It's just that they spend time and money to become familiar with the field thex had chosen. Bob Hyatt is a good example. He almost spent 20 years in a sphere and was finally promoted but I swear, you had also made the same career, Peter. It's always the same being there having done that before. It's like living in a street. In ten years you know a whole quartier.

In that understanding what is cheating?

It was a very early statement of Vas, that the rules in ICGA were imperfect or nonexisting. How serious you can take it?

Normally you dont expect the institution that has no clear rules to suddenly allow or incite an evil hate campaign like the dirty panel.

I feel sorry for David, whose kingdom has been destroyed by his own overreaction with the lifetime ban of Vas.

If the few academics had united and decided that they would continue the show but therefore would exclude everything criminal like these stealers and unknown publishers. Of course the ICGA couldnt forbid stealing and crimes but they could have declared that they would simply ignore such acticvities - but not those of their best talent, Vas Rajlich. Of course that would require that Bob Hyatt would become unobsessed and decent. He is a nice guy but when his tender spot is touched... well! You know what I mean. It's just the human drama.
I just sat here for like 10-15 minutes reading and thinking about your contribution, Rolf, I want to thank you for your effort. Sorry, I just couldn't make *any* sense of it, as hard as I tried. "But then: this guy obviously spent quite a lot of time writing all of this" I wondered, and kept re-reading your text.

Which goes to show how alien this world has become to me. Finally I remembered that the most likely answer is that your text really doesn't make any sense at all. ;)

In case I am mistaken, can you just give me the "Abstract" of your post, please?

Kind regards
Peter
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Don't worry, it just means you're sane. :lol:
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Peter Berger wrote: In case I am mistaken, can you just give me the "Abstract" of your post, please?

Kind regards
Peter
Yes, but here we have a clear limit of transmitting a message without real life instruments. My English certainly has weaknesses too and I dont know what your position is in this conflict.

I'll try again.

1. Is Vas guilty or not? - IMO he is absolutely honest and still innocent.

2. But what if certain experts have suspicions? - 6 years ago if they had got that to the ICGA, then it would have been ok. But that didnt happen. nd that caused all the mess.

3. Now the more difficult part. How could one prove if Vas had and cheated? Several aspects but to shorten this, you cant prove it without source code. But there is no catch 22 because a patzer with Elo that is way lower wouldnt interest at all. And Vas with his superior thing AND his education at MIT wouldnt need to cheat.

4. Now the top question, what could be done if he still had cheated. Remember, he's the champand such detail of how he started are uninteresting because this would enter his secrets. If he stayed on top for several consecutive years it's irrelevant and impossible that this always had been caused by frames like Crafty or Fruit.

5. Wouldnt it be intolerable if Vas had created a secret with at least some irregularities so that we must find out by all means as if we were chasing a murderer? No, therefore I call Watkins and Wegner stupud fach idiots because they are simply missing the ethical basics of a conflict in time. Vas simply was and is the best and he was so much ahead that saved weeks wether 5 or 20 have no impact regarding the sleepy competitors.

6. Say if Vas had overstepped certain limits and suddenly is facing anon vilains who are stealing his code and THEN publishing it for free so that suddenly all programmers could use it always excusing that Vas had started all this? How should we react? -
My solution. We shouldnt accept such terror and sabotage. We simply ignore those who are just working to destroy our community that was always led by the so-called 'accepted as if' -- Bob himself once told me convincingly that in CC with multi cores you just cant prove or avoid cheats. Here we have a sensitive moment. Should we all become McCarthy like paranos like our obsessed Bob? Next, would that make our sphere saner? Nope because now we are all lost in suspicions and negativity.

7. Someone with a genial talent who finds a trick to bust the traditional leaders in a field without that these have ideas how he did it, he couldnt and shouldnt be called a criminal.-
Plus, in legal justice it's not allowed to start a public dog hunt that lasts for decades with no end or verdict in legal court cases. Key term is peace in justice. Also libel and character assassination are unwanted social instruments. Period.

8. The reason why my position will cause protest and doubt is our own twisted and uneducated minds. With certain character defects we adore suspicion and mystery films.
Most of us are no academics and we suspise that smart people are habitual cheaters. Because they CAN cheat. If you add that we all are lying 80 or 200 times a DAY (!!) then you get the scenario how we practically must project from our own badness. - For me Vas with his very controlled smartness without any habits to verbally crushing others in our daily forum hate is a typical genius who gets enough satisfaction in his own work. And he would never have done MIT if he were a born criminal who is obsessed to find cheats. He would have been outsorted long ago. No need for a Hyatt with a 6 yearlong character assassinating.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: So send me your address and I will send you the processor, the t-shirt, and the Blue Rodeo music CD AMD provided. As I said I still have everything.

I have sent you my address again I look forward to receiving the prize.
I sent you my address in August last year. I guess it is lost in the mail for a 2nd time?
Leto

Post by Leto »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: So send me your address and I will send you the processor, the t-shirt, and the Blue Rodeo music CD AMD provided. As I said I still have everything.

I have sent you my address again I look forward to receiving the prize.
I sent you my address in August last year. I guess it is lost in the mail for a 2nd time?
Here are some possible explanations for you not having received the items yet:

1. He sent them but they got lost enroute to your residence.

2. He attempted to ship the items but got mugged.

3. He pawned the items to pay for his surgeries.

4. He pawned the items to spite you and spent it on lottery tickets.

5. The items were in his basement but a meteor struck his residence and demolished the items.

6. The items are still in his basement, he simply doesn't care enough to ship them out to you.
bob

Post by bob »

Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

This September, I will host the initial World Computer Chess Championship.

The winner of this event will be crowned the World Computer Chess Champion and will defend that title next year in a 48 game match vs the winner of the CCT event in February.

Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.

The CCT event will switch from a 7 round swiss event to a double round robin tournament. This may need to be played over two weekends depending on the number of participants. That will give us plenty games to form a rating list to start, and all tournaments in a calendar year will add to a competitor's rating. Future events will be seeded based off the rating list.

The Championship 48 game matches will be played 24/7 over the internet with 4 games per day so everyone in every time zone can tune in and watch games without having to stay up all night to watch.

There will also be a registration fee, with different levels for Professional programs and Amateur programs. This will allow me to pay for advertising, commentators, and prizes. I am working details out currently with a sponsor for the events, and only haggling over amount of advertising space on the CCT website, and how it will be promoted.

Depending on how much I get from this deal will dictate the entry fees. Only one fee is required to enter both tournaments this cycle (September and February event).

Discuss...

I've put up a pole asking about participation of Houdini and Rybka and ONLY those two programs.
I think this is a bad idea. There is ALREADY a WCCC, and has been since 1977. Re-using an existing name is confusing, and really makes little sense. Perhaps an IWCCC (Internet WCCC) or something similar might work. But using the SAME name as an event that has been held for almost 40 years doesn't seem reasonable.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

bob wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

This September, I will host the initial World Computer Chess Championship.

The winner of this event will be crowned the World Computer Chess Champion and will defend that title next year in a 48 game match vs the winner of the CCT event in February.

Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.

The CCT event will switch from a 7 round swiss event to a double round robin tournament. This may need to be played over two weekends depending on the number of participants. That will give us plenty games to form a rating list to start, and all tournaments in a calendar year will add to a competitor's rating. Future events will be seeded based off the rating list.

The Championship 48 game matches will be played 24/7 over the internet with 4 games per day so everyone in every time zone can tune in and watch games without having to stay up all night to watch.

There will also be a registration fee, with different levels for Professional programs and Amateur programs. This will allow me to pay for advertising, commentators, and prizes. I am working details out currently with a sponsor for the events, and only haggling over amount of advertising space on the CCT website, and how it will be promoted.

Depending on how much I get from this deal will dictate the entry fees. Only one fee is required to enter both tournaments this cycle (September and February event).

Discuss...

I've put up a pole asking about participation of Houdini and Rybka and ONLY those two programs.
I think this is a bad idea. There is ALREADY a WCCC, and has been since 1977. Re-using an existing name is confusing, and really makes little sense. Perhaps an IWCCC (Internet WCCC) or something similar might work. But using the SAME name as an event that has been held for almost 40 years doesn't seem reasonable.
Bob,

You did not realize, but you are answering a year-old post about a tournament that never happened. Let's not get confused. It is very common when ancient threads are bumped.

Miguel
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

michiguel wrote:You did not realize, but you are answering a year-old post about a tournament that never happened. Let's not get confused. It is very common when ancient threads are bumped.
It is interesting that the tournament never happened because there wasn't the slightest interest to participate in it. Only a single participant registered.

As there a very similar tournament is proposed now in another thread ('CCT World Championship'), one can wonder what makes this different enough to attract any participants...