Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

As a PARTICIPANT, would you allow Houdini and Rybka to participate?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am

Yes
61%
No
21%
Only Houdini
8%
Only Rybka
11%

Total votes: 66

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Peter Skinner »

Hello everyone,

This September, I will host the initial World Computer Chess Championship.

The winner of this event will be crowned the World Computer Chess Champion and will defend that title next year in a 48 game match vs the winner of the CCT event in February.

Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.

The CCT event will switch from a 7 round swiss event to a double round robin tournament. This may need to be played over two weekends depending on the number of participants. That will give us plenty games to form a rating list to start, and all tournaments in a calendar year will add to a competitor's rating. Future events will be seeded based off the rating list.

The Championship 48 game matches will be played 24/7 over the internet with 4 games per day so everyone in every time zone can tune in and watch games without having to stay up all night to watch.

There will also be a registration fee, with different levels for Professional programs and Amateur programs. This will allow me to pay for advertising, commentators, and prizes. I am working details out currently with a sponsor for the events, and only haggling over amount of advertising space on the CCT website, and how it will be promoted.

Depending on how much I get from this deal will dictate the entry fees. Only one fee is required to enter both tournaments this cycle (September and February event).

Discuss...

I've put up a pole asking about participation of Houdini and Rybka and ONLY those two programs.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Proposing: The REAL World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Your poll question does not make sense it says as a participant would......

How do you know who the participants are?
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Your poll question does not make sense it says as a participant would......

As a potential participant, would you allow it?

Spectators really shouldn't have a say and should be let to those that _participate_ in the event.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Your poll question does not make sense it says as a participant would......

As a potential participant, would you allow it?

Spectators really shouldn't have a say and should be let to those that _participate_ in the event.
so what is the point of this poll? just as your previous tournament they will all say let the clones play. Then good luck in getting the real authors to play. btw still waiting for my prize from cct a few years ago and so are a few others.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Peter Skinner wrote: Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.
Who is the current World Champion in this system?

--Jon
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: Every February, the CCT tournament will act as a candidates tournament where the winner of the event will go on to face the World Champion later that year in September in a 48 game match.

--Jon
That is what will be decided in September.
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
jdart wrote:

--Jon
Will I and others get our previous prizes before then?
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
jdart wrote:

--Jon
Sure. Let me dig up the box of AMD stuff from my basement and I will send it out to you. I still have _everything_ from that event.

AMD was supposed to pay for the shipping of the prizes, but failed to do that.

So email me your address and I will send you the 5000+ AMD CPU.

Peter
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: so what is the point of this poll? just as your previous tournament they will all say let the clones play. Then good luck in getting the real authors to play. btw still waiting for my prize from cct a few years ago and so are a few others.
The purpose of the poll is to give an indication of how many would like to see them participate.

If the Hiarcs team doesn't like what is decided, they can totally opt out of the event. As you stated, Hiarcs will likely never participate in any event I hold in the future, so I wasn't expecting it to.

In fact, I would almost prefer it didn't if you are involved in the team. These days you only seem to want to crap on any idea that pops out there for a new format, because _you_ don't like it.

You would be wise to drop the better than sliced bread attitude before it starts to hurt the sales of Hiarcs..

Peter
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
jdart wrote:

--Jon
Sure. Let me dig up the box of AMD stuff from my basement and I will send it out to you. I still have _everything_ from that event.

AMD was supposed to pay for the shipping of the prizes, but failed to do that.

So email me your address and I will send you the 5000+ AMD CPU.

Peter
You asked for my address at the time and then told me the CPU was on the way. I had promised any prize we won to the GM you had booked to commentate as you had cancelled him at short notice.

If i ran an event with a promised prize the fact that the postage money was not supplied by the sponsor would not stop me making dam sure the prizes got sent out on time.

your excuse does not make sense as I have an email from you saying the prize is on the way.