Why we are running

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

Why we are running

Post by michiguel »

Dear members of CCC,

Despite some bumps in the road during this past term (not an unexpected thing in a forum consisting of many diverse and intelligent people), we decided to run again for a second term as moderators, with Adam Hair filling in for Don Dailey. Don has much going on at the moment and does not have enough time to moderate, but agreed to run as the alternate.

Our reasons for running again were based on these factors:

1. We learned to appreciate each other, and we really enjoy working together. We gladly would work as a team for 6 more months. We had different perspectives on some issues, but we found consensus regarding our main policies. This investment phase payed off and we learned from each other.

2. Despite some moments where some people strongly opposed our moderating philosophy, we received much support, both publicly and privately. This has encouraged us to run again.

3. We have introduced several policies that we believe have improved the CCC forum. The CCC forum is and should be the center of all things concerning computer chess. What we implemented include:

A. We have redirected threads concerning clones, which engines are clones, who is cheating, etc ..., to the Engine Origins subforum. The effect of this has been to keep the main forum uncluttered and a more civil place. In addition, this benefitted the technical discussions regarding clones because of the slower pace of EO. The feedback we have received indicates that the members generally appreciated these action.

B. Many people, from within and without, came to "believe" that the CCC was controlled by a few. Whether this “control” was true or not is irrelevant. The fact is that several important discussions were taking place in other fora. CCC is supposed to be THE PLACE for all enthusiasts and authors. All discussions belong here as long as they are civilized. For that reason, we took action by enforcing CCC's charter and keeping a neutral stance in all situations.

C. CCC was devolving into a place where people felt free to insult each other, and generally act uncivil towards each other. We actively fought this by posting warnings directly in the offending threads and sending PM's to the transgressors. Civility is necessary in a place as diverse as CCC. The lack of it nullifies the great aspects of CCC and drives away members that we should strive to keep.

D. We actively worked to curb the practice of blatant "thread hijacking". Normal conversation between groups of people tend to wind around and touch upon several subjects. However, it was becoming more common for individuals to completely disregard the thread's topic and launch into a subject (often an attack) of their own choosing. The role of this forum, besides being a place for enthusiasts and authors to interact, is to facilitate the flow of information. Thread hijacking interrupts basic interaction and it is abusive.

We vow to continue to implement this philosophy. We feel, and believe that you feel, that it has improved CCC. It is for that reason, also, that we choose to run again.

Adam, Julien, Miguel, and Don
Rebel

Re: Why we are running

Post by Rebel »

You guys did an excellent job, congrats. I especially liked your (D) policy and how you gave it a body, not easy....

What I don't understand is your wish to run another 6 months. You guys must be out of your mind :wink: But then as my wife used to say, "I have to meet the first sane chess player, at best they are eccentric", hehehe...
melajara

Post by melajara »

Congratulations for your excellent job and continued dedication.

Your forum is a place I'm visiting almost daily and I very appreciate the accessibility and willingness to answer from the true luminaries of computer chess one can encounter here :wink:
Per ardua ad astra
Andre van Ark

Post by Andre van Ark »

Rebel wrote:But then as my wife used to say, "I have to meet the first sane chess player, at best they are eccentric", hehehe...
The wifes are all the same! :wink:

Eccentric regards,

Andre
http://www.vabs.nl/ burn out-begeleiding in Amersfoort
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

michiguel wrote:Dear members of CCC,

Despite some bumps in the road during this past term (not an unexpected thing in a forum consisting of many diverse and intelligent people), we decided to run again for a second term as moderators, with Adam Hair filling in for Don Dailey. Don has much going on at the moment and does not have enough time to moderate, but agreed to run as the alternate.

We are drunk with power!
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Sean Evans wrote:

We are drunk with power!
Is this your reaction to all moderators?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Adam Hair wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

We are drunk with power!
Is this your reaction to all moderators?
From memory - yes! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

Contento con todo neso mientras no me saquen mis ocasionales chistes y humoradas.

Fern
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

fern wrote:Contento con todo neso mientras no me saquen mis ocasionales chistes y humoradas.

Fern
Por un "diego" (a.k.a. 10%) de las ganancias de Moron, estoy dispuesto a poner tus humoradas como "sticky" bien arriba en la lista. Hay que sobrevivir...

Miguel
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

I and others prefer engine origin topics to be in the general topics section where ALL could see NATURALLY. Some interesting discussions and comments don't get looked at because some people don't go to that section at all. More than 90% of the time people come to this section only. There will be more response and views to certain engine origin topics if it were here and not in a separate section.

But I understand, I guess I do anyway.