Why isn't Hiarcs 64bit?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Why isn't Hiarcs 64bit?

Post by h1a8 »

Why on Earth hasn't Mark utilized 64bit programming in Hiarcs yet? Almost all of today's operating systems are 64bit. 64bit is proven to be faster than 32bit if programmed efficiently enough.

Is it because Mark doesn't know how to do it?
Just study other 64bit programs along with their corresponding 32bit program. But choose the ones to study where there is a big improvement.
Look at the changes to 64bit from 32bit.

Surely Hiarcs would be a lot stronger if it utilize 64bit efficiently enough. After all, it is a commercial program and it is illogical not to achieve this and still be commercial.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Why isn't Hiarcs 64bit?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I strongly doubt that the reason is the lack of chess programming skills related to Hiarcs author....

Mark ia a vary talented programmer & honest at the same time....

A rare coin to be found nowadays regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I strongly doubt that the reason is the lack of chess programming skills related to Hiarcs author....

Mark ia a vary talented programmer & honest at the same time....

A rare coin to be found nowadays regards,
Dr.D
Well would you think the reason is? Isn't it more logical to make Hiarcs faster and strong as possible, especially being a commercial program where you always boast on it's strength in the advertisment?

Also Mark did attempt a 64bit version some years ago but it didn't show any significant strength over the 32bit version so he scrapped it.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

h1a8 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I strongly doubt that the reason is the lack of chess programming skills related to Hiarcs author.... Mark ia a vary talented programmer & honest at the same time.... A rare coin to be found nowadays regards, Dr.D
Well would you think the reason is? Isn't it more logical to make Hiarcs faster and strong as possible, especially being a commercial program where you always boast on it's strength in the advertisment? Also Mark did attempt a 64bit version some years ago but it didn't show any significant strength over the 32bit version so he scrapped it.[/quote]

You answered yourself already :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bob

Post by bob »

h1a8 wrote:Why on Earth hasn't Mark utilized 64bit programming in Hiarcs yet? Almost all of today's operating systems are 64bit. 64bit is proven to be faster than 32bit if programmed efficiently enough.

Just study other 64bit programs along with their corresponding 32bit program. But choose the ones to study where there is a big improvement.

Surely Hiarcs would be a lot stronger if it utilize 64bit efficiently enough. After all, it is a commercial program and it is illogical not to achieve this and still be commercial.
No changes are necessary. Just recompile. You get 8 additional registers which will speed up most programs. Unfortunately, you also get 64 bit pointers and such which can slow down some programs. The 64 bit gains come from two things. (1) extra registers and (b) extra bits. This latter is important for bitboard programs since all the 2x32 bit operations become a single 64 bit operation which is more efficient.

But not EVERY program gains because of the pointer/offset issues. The code can get bigger, the cache footprint grows, and instruction length increases due to the opcodes for accessing extra registers and, of course, the larger size of the pointers...
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:
h1a8 wrote:Why on Earth hasn't Mark utilized 64bit programming in Hiarcs yet? Almost all of today's operating systems are 64bit. 64bit is proven to be faster than 32bit if programmed efficiently enough.

No changes are necessary. Just recompile. You get 8 additional registers which will speed up most programs. Unfortunately, you also get 64 bit pointers and such which can slow down some programs. The 64 bit gains come from two things. (1) extra registers and (b) extra bits. This latter is important for bitboard programs since all the 2x32 bit operations become a single 64 bit operation which is more efficient.

But not EVERY program gains because of the pointer/offset issues. The code can get bigger, the cache footprint grows, and instruction length increases due to the opcodes for accessing extra registers and, of course, the larger size of the pointers...
We have internal 64 bit versions that we have used in tournaments so we can use a much larger hash table.

we did release a 64 bit version in the past.

However just like Shredder and Junior it does not show any real gain so we would rather not release something that might be +/- 1 elo.

It would be a major rewrite to take full advantage of 64bit. Something that is on the very long to do list. Many/most customers still have a 32 bit os.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bob wrote:

We have internal 64 bit versions that we have used in tournaments so we can use a much larger hash table.

we did release a 64 bit version in the past.

However just like Shredder and Junior it does not show any real gain so we would rather not release something that might be +/- 1 elo.

It would be a major rewrite to take full advantage of 64bit. Something that is on the very long to do list,
No problem, then Hiarcs is on my very long to list to buy it!
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Sean Evans wrote:
I will not sleep tonight now I know this.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
:lol:
Terry McCracken
gerold

Post by gerold »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
Business is business no matter where it comes from. :lol: