Software no more...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: Software no more...

Post by fern »

Yes, I know, and similar reasons has been given to me by almost every programmer in town. But confess, it would be a great thing, a novelty worth the money. Kind of a smart friend inside the comp and not just an idiot-savant crushing us in chess.

fern
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

fern wrote:Yes, I know, and similar reasons has been given to me by almost every programmer in town. But confess, it would be a great thing, a novelty worth the money. Kind of a smart friend inside the comp and not just an idiot-savant crushing us in chess.

fern
I agree. :) One day we'll have that. But it won't be done by a programmer (or a crew of programmers) developping a specific AI for chess. it will come from a big corporation developing a general AI suitable for everything. You'll be able to tell it "tell me a nice story" that it will invent for you, or "coach my chess!"

What I mean is that the amount of work is so enormous that focusing it on chess would be an aberration. Just like investing 2 billions euros into a 1 million euros market.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
fern

Post by fern »

well, it depends of the scale pretended. I am not thinking in HAL. Certainly something more complex than Fritz and his scripted comments according score, etc, but neither a brain capable of teaching us Sanskrit.
What I mean is that for a talented chess programmer the task should aim now to that instead of just another 12 elo points for engines already not winnable.

Fern

Give it a thought.
melajara

Post by melajara »

JuLieN wrote:Fernando is not after eye-candy. What he wants is an interface that would say:

"I played this move because white is able to launch a deadly attack on black kings. Moving my knight there brings the last piece of the puzzle in order to give the coup de grace."

Or:

"This position is remarkably calm, hence my move, only optimizing my piece's location."

Or:

"Your move is not canonical. In this variation of the Scheveningen, after the Keres attack, the only two moves that give you a chance are 8. ... d5 and 8. ... h5. You must play sharp."

Or:

"During those six last months your style has evolved into a more aggressive one. May I thus suggest you to go for the accelerated dragon?"

And so on... And I kind of wish such an interface was available as well.
I'm working on it, just be patient ;-)
Last edited by melajara on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per ardua ad astra
Guerrero

Post by Guerrero »

Fernando Motores hispanos has a winboard variant which says things when you are playing.

It is in spanish but english will be available later.

https://sites.google.com/site/motoresdeajedrez/

Dice cosas en español de acuerdo al score, anuncia movimientos y modifica tu rating ademas de tener una apariencia mas agradable.

Quizas podrias hechar una mirada y enviarme tu dinero. :D
fern

Post by fern »

Really? That would be great news. Nobody has dared to do something of that kind.

Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

JuLieN wrote:
fern wrote:Yes, I know, and similar reasons has been given to me by almost every programmer in town. But confess, it would be a great thing, a novelty worth the money. Kind of a smart friend inside the comp and not just an idiot-savant crushing us in chess.

fern
I agree. :) One day we'll have that. But it won't be done by a programmer (or a crew of programmers) developping a specific AI for chess. it will come from a big corporation developing a general AI suitable for everything. You'll be able to tell it "tell me a nice story" that it will invent for you, or "coach my chess!"

What I mean is that the amount of work is so enormous that focusing it on chess would be an aberration. Just like investing 2 billions euros into a 1 million euros market.
Not to mention the amount of money needed to let Lopez undress naked when Fern beats the computer once in a while :wink:

:P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Martin Hudon

Post by Martin Hudon »

fern wrote:I finally got tired of being defeated by almost any current chess engine and so i will not, ever, play one again, even less to purchase extra stuff. Instead I am playing my old dedicated units, which I do with great pleasure. It is not only that I have a reasonable chance to win, but they are pretty, real things to put on the desk, something with solidity, smell, tact, etc.
I had believed I was going to get hiarcs 14 and its explorer new thing, but I think I will not. I expected something funnier, not a professional device surely of great utility for real chess players, which I am not. I expect faces, grimaces, comments, colors, bells and all the rest, not just database that i never in my life I have consulted.
Maybe I must wait Walt Disney producing an engine...

from the children garden regards
Fern
Buy Chessmaster X and a DGT board. Many opponents of all strenghts.
Lots features & lots of fun.
The dedicated machine I prefere is the Novag Constellation forté on gambit mode.

Amitiés
rreagan

Post by rreagan »

Houdini wrote:Apparently you need the Ethereal Chess GUI.
See http://www.chess2u.com/t6242-ethereal-chess-gui-new .
If it worked with 3D glasses, now that would be interesting.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi.
I have Cm, all the series and they are Ok, but not what I want. My idea id far more revolutionary. Julien Marcel got the idea.
Mu favorote dedicated unit in this moment is Karpov by Excalibur, of which i will make a post here.

Fern