Windows 8 Released Today

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kgburcham

Windows 8 Released Today

Post by kgburcham »

I preordered a copy of Windows 8.
I received this copy today, got it loaded, loaded my chess programs.
Everything seems to be ok.
I am slow moving around, I keep forgetting how to shut it off.
I think trim is enabled by default in Windows 8.
I did the normal disabledeletenotify=0.
Anyway it is challenging at first.
I don't expect any speed change using chess programs.
I will stay up on what the other geeks are saying for optimize, disable, etc.
kgburcham

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Windows 8 Released Today

Post by mclane »

why?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

mclane wrote:why?

If he has the money, he should spend it! It keeps the economy ticking over. :)

pichy

Post by pichy »

For the same reason that most American purchase a new car when their 4 or 5 years old car is working perfectly. Remember this is the consumer society where almost everybody who bought an Ipad-2 six months ago is getting a newer version simply because it is smaller and it has a newer and simpler operating system (Windows 8 Mini).

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/science_t ... ing-system
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

why indeed pay for that crap...?
especially when linux is free and far superior.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I am interested in Windows Phone 8, I am tired of the Apple iOS and iphone system. would be interested in Nokia Lumia 920 but would wait to see what chess apps can work on it.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

lucasart wrote:
One member bought a new OS and apparently is willing to test it with the engines. That is actually a good service for the community because he may or may not experience problems that many will like to know (Even if we do not use W8, engines are developed for several flavors of OS). I am quite surprise of so many negative answers. At least, let's keep this CC related.

Miguel
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I gave the beta a try, I think it will take some time to get adjusted to the substantial changes in how to do things. Somehow I feel Win 8 has been designed with only tablets or smartphones in mind. There might be a learning curve, but there seems to be a lot of things under the hood that might make this a good upgrade. Personally I will just wait another year or so ... pretty happy with Win 7.
geots

Post by geots »

michiguel wrote:
lucasart wrote:
One member bought a new OS and apparently is willing to test it with the engines. That is actually a good service for the community because he may or may not experience problems that many will like to know (Even if we do not use W8, engines are developed for several flavors of OS). I am quite surprise of so many negative answers. At least, let's keep this CC related.

Miguel

Obviously diff. people have diff. experiences. At first I hated Vista, but then for my purposes it ended up being better than XP- but none since. Win7 was the worst- because you have too many folder issues and have to fight thru too much admintr. rights battles. But I am comfortable enough with it to have gone ahead a few weeks ago and purchased another Intel i5 4 core almost identical to the one I bought the first of the year. They actually told me if I waited a few days they could install Windows 8 in it. I told them not if they wanted to sell it to me.

gts
krusher

Post by krusher »

This thread is going of-topic with people's irrelevant political rants that belong in CTF. Windows 8 is here whether you like it or not, and whether you have a need for it or not.

Businesses do not run on Slackware/Gentoo Linux because it is "free". I'm yet to see anybody standing outside offering state of the art Android smartphones for "free", yet not everybody knows what Android consists of a kernel based on the Linux kernel.

Personally I'm happy on Win7 as that is what I use at home/work, in a year or two years time who knows? I haven't loaded the pre-release consumer version but I might do so sometime in the future.

How do your chess programs behave on Windows 8?