crafty23.5 freezes in opening on fics

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

skoony

Re: crafty23.5 freezes in opening on fics

Post by skoony »

thanks peter,
i get those core and memery errors in console mode too.
i'll try the newest winboard.
regards
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

I just finished running about 300 games on FICS using my Lilkikr(C) account, and never had a single issue. All games were able to play from book and never froze.

I even tried with kibitzing on and off without issue. So there must be something wrong with your setup.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
skoony

Post by skoony »

hi peter,
same here till the last version.
i deleted the learn line and it seems like its settled down.
no glitchs so far.
ive had crafty running on fics since 2000 and the only
other problem i had was my anti virus sandboxing it.

regards
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.
geots

Post by geots »

Peter Skinner wrote:Can you also post your crafty.rc file contents? I highly recommend upgrading to the latest version of Winboard as well. It's at 4.6.2, so your 4.2.7 is a very old version.

Peter

After 4 rounds Crafty 23.5 x64 is tied for first with 3.5 out of a possible 4 points in an extremely tough Group 3 with 15 other freeware engines. See "Tournaments and Matches" section. And I am running Jim's compile. No problems as of yet. However, I am running it in Fritz 13 gui- which is an entirely diff. setup which probably makes the diff. in stability. No way I would change anything. I have never seen it do better. In fact, looks as if it is on its way to another win as we speak. I am extremely proud of the way Crafty is playing- go USA!

gts
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Crafty 23.5 x64 is a pretty decent engine, and especially so if you give it a few cores. I used to run Crafty in HG's monthly online tournaments sometimes, until I discovered that this was in contravention of it's licence and then I ceased to do so.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Modern Times wrote:Crafty 23.5 x64 is a pretty decent engine, and especially so if you give it a few cores. I used to run Crafty in HG's monthly online tournaments sometimes, until I discovered that this was in contravention of it's licence and then I ceased to do so.
I'm quite sure no one in the Crafty team would have objected to you using Crafty in HGM's monthly tournaments.

So please, feel free :)

In fact if you want better books and the most up to date version to do so, contact me and I will provide the materials for you.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
geots

Post by geots »

Bob, if you get a chance, sometimes look in "Tournaments and Matches" section in FREEWARES: Group 3. First four out of 30 rounds posted. Crafty 23.5 x64 has started well, scoring 3.5 out of a possible 4.0, against 15 other freewares that are no slouches. Updates every few days- if they are not on Page 1- check Page 2. I am extremely proud of the way Crafty is playing.

Best,

george
bob

Post by bob »

skoony wrote:hi prof hyatt.
i found the problem,hash table size 2048 M.
they dont like that,went back to 1024M.
using a core i5,has 2 proccessers but runs two threads on each.
verified with task manager.crafty also announces 4 cores on fics.

i thought you had disabled learning and book learning?
if not i have a crafty instruction file from you explaining them all
and how they work.no-p there.
i'll run the leaner version of the rc file and
see if the newest still wants to stop on fics intermittently and post back here.

regards
mike
I disable learning while testing, not while playing. I always use book learning to play games so that I don't see any repeated losses or bad positions.
bob

Post by bob »

skoony wrote:thanks peter,
i get those core and memery errors in console mode too.
i'll try the newest winboard.
regards
mike
When you say "I get those errors in console mode" do you mean starting Crafty in a command prompt window? No errors should happen there at all. Although if you are running a 32 bit o/s, 2gb might turn into an issue since that is where the number becomes "negative"...

Here is crafty on a machine with 12 gigs of ram:

White(1): hash=8192M
hash table memory = 8192M bytes (512M entries).

I probably need to add a "G" option so that "hash=8g" will work as well...
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:Bob, if you get a chance, sometimes look in "Tournaments and Matches" section in FREEWARES: Group 3. First four out of 30 rounds posted. Crafty 23.5 x64 has started well, scoring 3.5 out of a possible 4.0, against 15 other freewares that are no slouches. Updates every few days- if they are not on Page 1- check Page 2. I am extremely proud of the way Crafty is playing.

Best,

george
Will look. Been working on re-introducing history ordering into crafty, by borrowing code from older versions of Crafty that used history. Want to experiment with a "ramped LMR" reduction...