Universal Chessbot Client V1.0 (beta)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Re: Universal Chessbot Client V1.0 (beta)

Post by jefk »

with which interfaces can it play ?
(for me a tool to compare a ChessPartner book with
Arena and/or Chessbase books would be useful).

as for cheating on online chess servers,
well you simply can register as computer you know,
if you get a rating as as human in the IM range
sooner or later the cheater will be caught i think

jef
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

Finaly you can play with Arena on the ChessBase server. Great project.

Michael
[url]http:///www.playwitharena.com[/url]
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Can it also do 10x8 boards?
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

I can read from the Youtube site:

..."Any corresponding chess GUI application can be paired with the client to give its user the ultimate advantage over one's opponent in any and all scenarios."

Well, that said (written!), I think the main goal is clear...

Somehow all sites must be aware of this...

It could be great if just (C)omputer accounts could use it, but who knows... many cheaters would love to use it... and I think they will if they get the bot. So it is useless and also extremely harmful for Internet Chess Servers !

As I play often at many sites, I´d say it is very disappointing to loose a game when you think your opponent is cheating. It often happens at Chess Planet and FICS, for example. Is this "bot" already being used? :-(
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Ponti wrote:I can read from the Youtube site:

..."Any corresponding chess GUI application can be paired with the client to give its user the ultimate advantage over one's opponent in any and all scenarios."

Well, that said (written!), I think the main goal is clear...

Somehow all sites must be aware of this...

It could be great if just (C)omputer accounts could use it, but who knows... many cheaters would love to use it... and I think they will if they get the bot. So it is useless and also extremely harmful for Internet Chess Servers !

As I play often at many sites, I´d say it is very disappointing to loose a game when you think your opponent is cheating. It often happens at Chess Planet and FICS, for example. Is this "bot" already being used? :-(
This is just a "ultimate" tool, cheating going pro. Making worst the already massive cheating on online chess. Still, I dont see any problem, because this ultra cheaters soon goes to 2500+ elo.. and most of mortals never play them. Only some IM/GM and other cheaters :wink:
Don

Post by Don »

I think some of you are being a bit cruel. This is something that Jay must have worked very hard on and was obviously excited about announcing it to us and I personally don't believe he should have to suffer the criticism you have been dishing out.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If he made what I think he made, it would be an extremely useful tool, which I have been sorely missing to do perfectly innocent things. (Namely playing stand-alone engines with their own GUI against WB engines.) This would be a really fantastic development.

Like any powerful tool, it can of course be abused. I don't think this is a big problem. Most sites catch cheaters by the moves they play, and no tool could ever disguise that.
Don

Post by Don »

hgm wrote:If he made what I think he made, it would be an extremely useful tool, which I have been sorely missing to do perfectly innocent things. (Namely playing stand-alone engines with their own GUI against WB engines.) This would be a really fantastic development.

Like any powerful tool, it can of course be abused. I don't think this is a big problem. Most sites catch cheaters by the moves they play, and no tool could ever disguise that.
I feel the same way and as a developer myself I can think of several ways I might use it.

However after the way we treated him I would not expect him to be any more forthcoming.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
dbxuau

Post by dbxuau »

I'm used to a good brawl lol. I will be honest in saying that my motivation for making this was indeed to cheat, just for the sake of cheating. I hack games for hobby. I've made a checkers bot, a backgammon bot, a GO bot, chinese checkers, and first person shooter games on the PC. It's in my nature to exploit weaknesses. With that being said, I had my own reservations about just giving a download link and saying "HERE YOU ALL GO, GO RAGE AND HAVE FUN RUINING CHESS!"...that didn't happen nor do I want that to happen. Surely such a scenario could very well happen with someone else though. As I said on here and on other sites, this will be a user by user ordeal. I've had some prominent chess people asking me for a copy and I don't see any issue with that for the sake of engine vs engine use.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Don wrote:I think some of you are being a bit cruel. This is something that Jay must have worked very hard on and was obviously excited about announcing it to us and I personally don't believe he should have to suffer the criticism you have been dishing out.
Don, Why don't you read what Ponti quotes, the ones with BIG LETTERS?

Of course it has great use! special for those engines bundled with his own gui (as explained by Muller).

I send a mail to see what happens: Hes selling in 20-50$ range. Looks very much like a con.