new tricks for an old dog: pgn4web chessboards for phpbb2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Re: new tricks for an old dog: pgn4web chessboards for phpbb

Post by Sam Hull »

casaschi wrote:NOTE: in some other post I mention a chess engine popup functionality... this is not avalable unless the pgn4web/board.html file is manually patched including the file engine.js right after pgn4web.js. Just look for the first of the following lines and manually add the second:

Code: Select all

<script src="pgn4web.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="engine.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Done.

-Sam-
Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Houdini wrote:Congrats to everyone who made this possible!

Just one request: please make the PGN not auto-play by default.
Nothing is more annoying than having 10 games on a page that are all auto-playing when you just want to read the text in-between...

Robert
I think if you click on a move it freezes the board at that position ...

-Sam-
casaschi

Post by casaschi »

Houdini wrote:Congrats to everyone who made this possible!

Just one request: please make the PGN not auto-play by default.
Nothing is more annoying than having 10 games on a page that are all auto-playing when you just want to read the text in-between...

Robert
That is a matter of taste, the necessary modification is very easy though.
In the modification for file templates/subSilver/bbcode.tpl look for the text

...board.html?am=l&d=3000...
and make it

...board.html?am=n&d=3000...
The switches after board.html manage the chessboard options and are explained here:
http://code.google.com/p/pgn4web/wiki/B ... structions
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Sam Hull wrote:I think if you click on a move it freezes the board at that position ...

-Sam-
Of course each game can be stopped by clicking, but that's not convenient when there are several games auto-playing.

On a forum there is NO point in having the games auto-play by default.
Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Houdini wrote:
Sam Hull wrote:I think if you click on a move it freezes the board at that position ...

-Sam-
Of course each game can be stopped by clicking, but that's not convenient when there are several games auto-playing.

On a forum there is NO point in having the games auto-play by default.
Sorry, misunderstood - I see your point. Paolo's modification is in, autoplay is off.

-Sam-
casaschi

Post by casaschi »

Houdini wrote:On a forum there is NO point in having the games auto-play by default.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, the "autoplay mode" is a configurable option that can be easily turned off.

Whether to enable the games autoplay by default is a matter of taste; few people share your opinion; the reason why I leave the autoplay on in the default setting I propose is to show that the chessboard is in fact interactive; you might be surprised by the reaction of people to a novelty in a forum, not everyone might automatically assume the pieces on the chessboard actually move :-)
Anyway, the best would be to have a more sophisticated bbocode that allows setting that and other options like:

&#91;pgn initialHalfmove=6 autoplayMode=none&#93; ... &#91;/pgn&#93;
Something like that is already available for other platforms (like wordpress.org and joomla portals), it might be possible to have it here on phpbb2, but it's not included in my first cut at the custom bbcode (sorry).
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

For those who unfamiliar with pgn4web, clicking on the F8 square will bring up the shortcut keys help, and clicking on G8 will bring up the shortcut squares help. Also, clicking on B8 at any point in the play-through will give the FEN string for the current board position, and clicking on C8 will bring up the source pgn.
Don

Post by Don »

Our thanks to you! Yeah!!!

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Amazing tool and brilliant game to showcase it. :D The whole attacking/sac sequence and converting the material imbalance was supremely well executed. Then 65...Be6!! was the final killer shot. beautiful game.

The forum has just gotten much better! 8-)
Thanks for bringing this holiday gift to us.

Regards,
CL
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

carldaman wrote:Amazing tool and brilliant game to showcase it. :D The whole attacking/sac sequence and converting the material imbalance was supremely well executed. Then 65...Be6!! was the final killer shot. beautiful game.

The forum has just gotten much better! 8-)
Thanks for bringing this holiday gift to us.

Regards,
CL
As a minor member of team Gaviota, I thank you, Carl, for your compliment regarding Gaviota's play. I am sure that the talent behind Gaviota, Miguel, appreciates your words very much also.

Adam