Who Do You Feel Is The Greatest Human Chess Player?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Who Do You Feel Is The Greatest Human Chess Player?

Magnus Carlsen ELO 2861
13%
Garry Kasparov ELO 2851
43%
Bobby Fischer ELO 2785
38%
Other human player
7%

Total votes: 88

Amstaff

Re: Who Do You Feel Is The Greatest Human Chess Player?

Post by Amstaff »

Bobby Fischer.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Kasparov for me. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
walter koroljow

Post by walter koroljow »

Lasker was probably the greatest. He dominated the world for 26 years, and he was still world class at 67! He very rarely failed to take first in a tournament, even if Capablanca or Alekhine were playing.

To me, Lasker was the greatest.

And how about Alekhine?
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

I think the question is meant to signify the greatest player in terms of overall quality of chess.
In this respect I would definitely pick up Fischer.
Fischer annihilated all of his opponents in the 1971-72 streak and would have done so with Spassky, the then world champion, if it had not been for a very relaxed attitude after the match had practically been decided. No one except Fischer has been able to proceed in such a way with the current world champion.

Kasparov's style is definitely more spectacular and deep-running in some respects, but I am sure you will observe a significant quantity of mistakes too, something that was strange to Fischer in his prime. So overall, in terms of quality of the games, I think Fischer stands taller.
That does not necessarily mean that he would have been able to win a match against Kasparov, but that he would certainly score better in a larger pool of players.
Elos are not that important, especially in a historic context, as they get inflated, etc.
What concerns Carlsen, I do not think that he will be the only player to surpass the 2900 elo barrier in the not too distant future (thanks to the help of computers, too).

Lyudmil
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:I never thought any human would be better than Kasparov, but it looks like I stand corrected! Magnus Carlsen ELO 2861
I don't think MC is the greatest at this moment in time, but when he retires at 40+ I think he will be.
Totally agree.