Houdini 3, Threads Problem

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Houdini 3, Threads Problem

Post by Stephen Ham »

Dear readers,

As a computer dummy, I have the following problem. I just purchased H3 and started an engine match versus Stockfish 2.3.1 at game/35'. After about 40 games, Stockfish held a very large lead. Upon investigation I noticed that H3 was only playing on six virtual threads in my Core i7 quad 64 bit Windows 7 PC where hyperthreading is always on (like others, I can't turn it off). In Engine Parameters, the GUI refuses to allow me to increase the threads to 8, like all my other engines have. So, the default is: 6 threads, split depth = 10.

I should mention that I'm using the Deep Fritz 11 GUI because I can't stand the "Ribbons" in the default ChessBase GUI.

Does anybody know how I can manually alter the default setting in Engine Parameters so I can get H3 running on all eight virtual cores?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,
Steve
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Re: Houdini 3, Threads Problem

Post by acase »

Hello Stephen,

Did you get the pro version or the standard version of Houdini 3?
Because I think that the standard version of H3 only allows up to 6 threads.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

acase wrote:Hello Stephen,

Did you get the pro version or the standard version of Houdini 3?
Because I think that the standard version of H3 only allows up to 6 threads.
Hi Andrew,

Indeed, the Standard version advertisement states, "supports up to 6 cores". Since I have a quad, then 4 cores should be no problem for it.

Yes, with HT on, I have 8 "virtual cores" but I still have 4 actual cores. If ChessBase meant threads or "virtual cores", then their advertisement is a lie.

My guess is that H3 on 6 virtual cores should be a decent match for Stockfish 2.3.1 on 8 virtual cores. But the result was staggeringly in favor of Stockfish. Perhaps its a case of "not enough games".

All the best,
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

acase wrote: I think that the standard version of H3 only allows up to 6 threads.
Correct. The standard version can use 6 cores max.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
geots

Post by geots »

Stephen Ham wrote:Dear readers,

As a computer dummy, I have the following problem. I just purchased H3 and started an engine match versus Stockfish 2.3.1 at game/35'. After about 40 games, Stockfish held a very large lead. Upon investigation I noticed that H3 was only playing on six virtual threads in my Core i7 quad 64 bit Windows 7 PC where hyperthreading is always on (like others, I can't turn it off). In Engine Parameters, the GUI refuses to allow me to increase the threads to 8, like all my other engines have. So, the default is: 6 threads, split depth = 10.

I should mention that I'm using the Deep Fritz 11 GUI because I can't stand the "Ribbons" in the default ChessBase GUI.

Does anybody know how I can manually alter the default setting in Engine Parameters so I can get H3 running on all eight virtual cores?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,
Steve

I would think that Houdini on 2 or 4 cores would destroy Stockfish on 8 cores. I'm talking "obliterate", like in nuking. I will never know for sure because I would NEVER buy a system with hyperthreading, but my guess is the problem is not the number of cores Houdini is using- but that they are virtual cores it is using- and I don't like them or trust them.

george