Win 7 question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dayffd

Win 7 question

Post by Dayffd »

Is there anything specific I should watch for on a Win 7 os, I7 quad core relating to GUI's, winboard, uci engines, etc? If any real problems with uci/winboard, will running compatility to XP resolve most if not all issues in that regard? For instance, will Comet B33 run fine? Deep Fritz 8? Ktulu 9? Do I stand a chance against, say Komodo 5, Critter, Hiarcs 14? :)
David S.
Christopher Conkie

Re: Win 7 question

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dayffd wrote:Is there anything specific I should watch for on a Win 7 os, I7 quad core relating to GUI's, winboard, uci engines, etc? If any real problems with uci/winboard, will running compatility to XP resolve most if not all issues in that regard? For instance, will Comet B33 run fine? Deep Fritz 8? Ktulu 9? Do I stand a chance against, say Komodo 5, Critter, Hiarcs 14? :)
If it ran on Vista without compatibility mode, it runs on W7 just the same. I like the oldies too. What I would say to you David is that for those (for whatever reason) you cannot get to work, there is the Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine. I got some really old crap running in that (like Fritz 2, bless them.....)

Now Windows 8 Pro (and above) has Hyper-V. Never will you need to worry about getting all of the Comet's to run. I would put it in Arena 4 here but Comet33 is not to hand. I will let you know..... Comet60 works if that helps?

:-)

I am only guessing but I think that your chances against Hiarcs 14 are somewhere between Nil and Zero percent (accuracy 100%). If you do however do "a Pablo" please show it. There is nothing better than the beauty of the human triumphing over dead machinery. It shows we are all alive.....and......know better.....

:-)

Chris
Dayffd

Re: Win 7 question

Post by Dayffd »

Thank you for your answer, Chris. I never did get around to "upgrading" to Vista for two reasons: I was happy enough with XP and from what I heard about Vista...well. Anyways, I just googled Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine and if necessary I will d/l it and fiddle around some. As for Hiarcs 14...Gee, that doesn't sound good for my chances. :) I guess I will just use it for analysis primarily and some eng - eng play, and stay out of its way. :)
David S.