Chess Engine, GUI troubleshooting

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Chess Engine, GUI troubleshooting

Post by Amstaff »

Hello, I have been using a commercially available (purchased and licensed) UCI chess engine in a commercial GUI successfully for quite some time. All of a sudden after unloaded this engine from the GUI when I try to reload it back into the GUI, the GUI says it is not a UCI engine (error message).
Unstalling and re-installing the GUI and engine does not correct the problem.
What kind of things can cause this to happen? I've never experienced this before with many years of engine/GUI use. I am running it on a laptop with windows Vista.
It do not appear to be related to my antivirus/malware software, because I have eliminated that variable and still have the same problem. Could it be a registry issue, Vista issue, or some other problem?
Any thoughts on troubleshooting? The chess engine vendor tried to be very helpful with me, but it appears to be a mystery issue with my laptop.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this problem.
Gerald
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Chess Engine, GUI troubleshooting

Post by hgm »

I think I already asked you this when you first posted aboutthis problem. But I don't recall what the conclusion was:

1) does the engine run correctly under WinBoard or XBoard?
2) does your GUI correctly run Fruit?

That, at least, would give an indication whether you have to look for a problem in the GUI or engine.
skoony

Post by skoony »

perhaps if you post what gui and what engine you are having
the problem on would be more helpful for someone
to give you a hand.
regards
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.
Carlos Ylich

Post by Carlos Ylich »

Hello,
That has happened to me. Is the problem with tablebases. Delete and install the tablebases again. Try to start the engine without tablebases.
Carlos Ylich
Remember Sabra and Chatila