I think I'm leaving Chess for good

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: I think I'm leaving Chess for good

Post by Evert »

My advice would be to find a better club. :P

We always had a lot of fun chatting while the opponent's clock was running. Unfortunately the club went under when I moved away for a few years. :(
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:
Uri wrote:I think I'm leaving Chess for good.

I'm leaving chess because I don't like the competitive nature of the game and the fact that chess is based on overpowering your opponent.
Wise choice. Chess is a very unfriendly game when played between humans, as the main key to winning is to destroy the personality of your opponent. It is also very anti-social: you sit silently against an opponent for nearly 4 hours, not even allowed to talk to friends for they might help you with the game. I am happy I could stop that. As with any addiction, this can be hard.

Give me Bridge any time!

Writing software to play Chess is fun, though. :lol:
I do not feel that the main key to winning in chess is to destroy the personality of my opponent.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:

I'm leaving chess because I don't like the competitive nature of the game and the fact that chess is based on overpowering your opponent.
Wise choice. Chess is a very unfriendly game when played between humans, as the main key to winning is to destroy the personality of your opponent. It is also very anti-social: you sit silently against an opponent for nearly 4 hours, not even allowed to talk to friends for they might help you with the game. I am happy I could stop that. As with any addiction, this can be hard.

Give me Bridge any time!

Writing software to play Chess is fun, though. :lol:
I do not feel that the main key to winning in chess is to destroy the personality of my opponent.
I certainly don'tthink so either.
But actually, once when i was playing in a club tournament in Israel, many years ago now, i won my last game to qualify for the next level.

I played Black in Grunefeld defence, and i felt my opponent played without caring much, and i was thinking much deeper, but he didn't appreaciate that. Then i was a bit afraid that he would eat me up on a stupid mistake which was usually what lost me a game. But in the end, right at the very end, i found a queen sacrifice which mated him. Quite a nice one, but i felt i deserved it all along.

but...... he looked so upset, that this game may have caused me to stop bothering with chess competitively. Even with such a great effort, my opponent has to be upset! First he laughed at me during the whole game, then when i opened up and won he got upset as if it was not my hard work!

[even one of the big masters there knew to jump over to the board to watch that final combination! i felt good about that! (and when he looked at my face, i tried not to crack a smile!)]
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Most of "competitive" activities are based on overpowering your opponent: football, tennis, box, running, all Olympic sports, etc..

Just a nice example with tennis: Nadal Amazing Points in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKydyrzHfo

The very nice thing of chess its the fair rules and the equal army for both players. The only not equal its the advantage of first move. And of course the players knowledge.

So... I bet you have been crushed badly today :twisted: dont feel bad, tomorrow will be all fine :wink:
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

What pisses me of more is the fact that now you have to pay a lot of money to get the best chess softwares. Seems like chess software makers ignore those of us who are not millionaires and don't have a lot of money to spend.

I think I'm leaving chess for something less competitive and more useful to humanity.
By the way, Uri, do you appreciate peoples answers to you? Or are you just a troll? You never seem to respond after you begin a thread which everyone participates in, to help you.
Uri

Post by Uri »

S.Taylor wrote:By the way, Uri, do you appreciate peoples answers to you? Or are you just a troll?
Yes of course I appreciate the responses and I'm not a troll. I just don't care much about this game anymore.
Uri

Post by Uri »

I also don't have anything constructive to say so I don't respond. Otherwise I would make myself look a fool.

Also my field of expertise is not in chess programming so I cannot comment on the programming topics here (which I obviously don't understand) without making myself look stupid.
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

For me chess is a part of my life and has been for decades and i figure ill be sticking with it. But i moved recently. Through a ton of stuff out. I think if there's something that is just there but not giving the use it should, its healthy to spring clean, change habits, get rid of the old so the new can emerge. So i wish you the best if you're moving on from chess. To me chess is and always has been fun. But i've seen a wide range of attitudes to chess and its perhaps not right for everybody or some of us will need to abandon it if only for a period of time. I don't even know if this is just based on the person or if its really just how they've approached chess. I have heard of some people returning to chess but who also change their approach perhaps less competitive and more relaxed for those who used to take it to seriously etc as one example.
Mike
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Post by tjfroh »

Uri, The first transistors were $150.00 USD each. That was back in the 1960s. Now we have ICs with hundreds of millions of them in microprocessors. That was all due to competition.

Chess is life. Life is rife with competition. It is good to become monastic once in a while. Avoiding competitive chess is good. Just remember that we are always ready to give you a good beating if you wish to play again.

Today's free chess programs are much stronger than the best programs that we paid hundreds of dollars for in the past. Buy more chess programs.

TJF, computer chess afficionado

PS Americans and Russians like a good fight. A fighting spirit is a sign of health. Make my day!

What pisses me of more is the fact that now you have to pay a lot of money to get the best chess softwares. Seems like chess software makers ignore those of us who are not millionaires and don't have a lot of money to spend.

I think I'm leaving chess for something less competitive and more useful to humanity.
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Post by tjfroh »

Gerold, I have World Champion Checkers Gold and it tells me that I will lose in 86 moves. Play that program by Gil Dodgen and then tell me that you don't have to think in order to win.

http://www.worldchampionshipcheckers.com/

Professor Marion Tinsley

PS If you really want a thrashing then download WCC Platinum. It is about 7 GB in total and you need 2 GB free RAM to run it.
gerold wrote:

Chess keeps the brain working. A good game on the net in the morning wakes me up for the day. As far as software the best is for freee. Look around. Of course if you don't care to think so much you could always play checkers. :-)

Best,
Gerold.
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.