Strange behaviour in Windows 8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ernst

Strange behaviour in Windows 8

Post by ernst »

When I run an engine under Windows 8 somehow the taskmanager displays a strange pattern regarding cpu usage.
Nonetheless the overall speed the engine reports is about the same as it was under Windows 7.
The task manager in windows 7 displays 100% cpu the whole time the engine is running, as expected.

Did anyone else ran into this?

kgburcham

Re: Strange behaviour in Windows 8

Post by kgburcham »

soon as I start the engine, it goes to 100% and stays there.
I noticed all programs will not stay at 100% cpu usage.
I assume it is the program tuning.

Image[/img]
ernst

Post by ernst »

The problem lies somewhere in the task manager itself as even in idle the reported speed (which is 1600MHz) fluctuates between 0.4 and 1.5 GHz. Running an engine, the reported clockspeed is between 2 and 4.4 GHz. I have no idea what is causing this.
CPU-Z shows the correct value.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

ernst wrote:When I run an engine under Windows 8 somehow the taskmanager displays a strange pattern regarding cpu usage.
Nonetheless the overall speed the engine reports is about the same as it was under Windows 7.
The task manager in windows 7 displays 100% cpu the whole time the engine is running, as expected.

Did anyone else ran into this?

does it happens to you if you see the report with process-explorer from Sysinternal? it its a very famous and useful tool......
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
ernst

Post by ernst »

Kempelen wrote:does it happens to you if you see the report with process-explorer from Sysinternal? it its a very famous and useful tool......
Process explores shows normal behavior; 0-1% idle and 100% when running the engine. Thanks for directing me to this utility.
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

The task manager of Windows 8 has a well known (great) bug when using Speedstep(TM) or Cool-n-Quiet(TM).

Idle and load values are not reported correctly in that case.

From what I see you have Speedstep enabled in the BIOS and that's what causes the problem.
ernst

Post by ernst »

Disabling speedstep didn't resolve the issue, but a BIOS update did. Thanks all again.