Incredible finish to Candidates tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jdart

Incredible finish to Candidates tournament

Post by jdart »

Against all expectations, Carlsen and Kramnik both lost in the last round. Carlsen has the better tiebreak so will be Anand's challenger for the World Championship.

--Jon
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Re: Incredible finish to Candidates tournament

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

jdart wrote:Against all expectations, Carlsen and Kramnik both lost in the last round. Carlsen has the better tiebreak so will be Anand's challenger for the World Championship.

--Jon
This was a fantastic tournament. I enjoyed it a lot. Great games, excellent coverage on the organizers webpage. Tension till the very end. That is how chess has to be. I hope the next WC will be as interesting.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
lech

Post by lech »

Carlsen was weaker than CARLSBERG!
Iwanchuk was the best spirit of the tournament. :D
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.
Red Hood

Post by Red Hood »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:
jdart wrote:Against all expectations, Carlsen and Kramnik both lost in the last round. Carlsen has the better tiebreak so will be Anand's challenger for the World Championship.

--Jon
This was a fantastic tournament. I enjoyed it a lot. Great games, excellent coverage on the organizers webpage. Tension till the very end. That is how chess has to be. I hope the next WC will be as interesting.
Tournament was a complete farce! It was all fixed. Carlsen was to be the winner right from the start! Carlsen must have friends in high places. Kramnik or Aronian are the co winners in my opinion.

No matter how good you are connections is what matters don't be naive people this was all staged.

Carlsen is just a spoiled brat! He isn't the best!
There is always a light at end of the tunnel. Just make sure it isn't a train!
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Red Hood wrote:
Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:

--Jon
Tournament was a complete farce! It was all fixed. Carlsen was to be the winner right from the start! Carlsen must have friends in high places. Kramnik or Aronian are the co winners in my opinion.

No matter how good you are connections is what matters don't be naive people this was all staged.

How is this done? Are his opponents paid huge amounts of money to lose?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Red Hood wrote:Tournament was a complete farce! It was all fixed. Carlsen was to be the winner right from the start! Carlsen must have friends in high places. Kramnik or Aronian are the co winners in my opinion.

That's just being silly.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Winning a round-robin tournaments rests a great deal on luck. You have no control over the quality of play and/or collusion that goes on in the other games. The only fair way imho is to have direct elimination play with a reasonable number of full-time games, like at least 10 games as they did in 1972.

Fortunately there was not even a hint of collusion. But I was suspicious that there would be since 7 of the 8 candidates were born in countries that were part of the former Soviet Union.
rabbits

Post by rabbits »

Milan; Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?
Allan
jdart

Post by jdart »

Being lucky and being good can occur together.

Magnus is so good, he lets himself get into bad positions and assumes he can still outplay his opponents. And not infrequently he does. He doesn't appear to be as well prepared in the opening, but he is getting a serious reputation for winning in what look like dead drawn or even losing positions. A little like Karpov, who was famously talented in the endgame, or for that matter like Fischer, who for a while was almost impossible to even draw against.

As for collusion: the Soviet Union is long gone. Ivanchuk is Ukranian. Gelfand was born in Belarus but has been in Israel for a very long time. Radjabov is Azerbaijani. They aren't on the same political side as the Russian players, at all. It is not like the Soviet years.
Red Hood

Post by Red Hood »

Luck! There is no such thing!

What? You think Obama is president because he was doing his homework and having good grades? Don't be fools. World doesn't work that way. High positions of fame and glory are not a reward for the "good" guy. Secrets and connections and intrigues are what get's you in high places. Grow up people.

Carlsen was in trouble more then once in the tournament. And that blunder Radjabov made make's me wanna puke. It was obvious he did it on purpose.
2700 player to blunder like that! In a drawn endgame, get real!

This is no conspiracy theory. And my proof is my brain. I can think for my self.
There is always a light at end of the tunnel. Just make sure it isn't a train!