(Pacman versus Human) qualities on endgames

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jplchess

(Pacman versus Human) qualities on endgames

Post by jplchess »

Mephisto Genus had endgame human qualities 20 years ago.
Was that the first one?

Stockfish plays like Pacman capturing fifteen pieces and pawns and then goes after the king.

I know this may be insigificant, but I prefer the highest efficiency as in the fewest number of moves possible to win the game.

Could someone please give a list of software that plays like a human or plays like Pacman (gobble)?

Jonathan Lee :D
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: (Pacman versus Human) qualities on endgames

Post by hgm »

When I played as a human I found that the most efficient way to win a game was to play like Pacman. It makes your opponent resign immediately. Methods that are shortest in moves are almost always trading risk for speed (or they could be improved by doing so), leaving your opponent with hope you will stumble. (E.g. he has still passers he can advance, while you are already busy driving his king towards a corner for checkmate ignoring his advance because the Queen will be just too late to prevent the mate. Capturing the passer produces an instant resign.)

Many times my team mates criticised me ("Why were you playing X? Y would have won much faster!") to walk back to the board for no other purpose than to shake hands.