WCCC 2013 in Yokohama

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvk

Re: WCCC 2013 in Yokohama

Post by mvk »

IanO wrote:I agree that this event should drop the World Championship title, since it obviously isn't, and simply be the Computer Olympiad chess events.
It would be the FIDE affiliation from which the right to give out a world title derives. Interestingly the FIDE doesn't care the least: The tournament is not listed on FIDE's calendar. (And guess what program they use in their annotations)
IanO

Post by IanO »

Paloma wrote:20th WCCC will held in Yokohama from 2013-08-12 to 2013-08-18

Participants so far:
Jonny
Pandix
Shredder
Merlin
Junior
HIARCS

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/event.php?id=44
One week away! and apparently they had a venue change. The Computer Olympiad will now be held at Keio University Kyosei-kan, the Collaboration Complex.

Live PGN for the games will be published: WCCC and WCSC (the uniform platform tournament).

I am disappointed not to see Komodo in the list of participants, now that they have a stable MP release. Why didn't Komodo go this year?

I also wish Stockfish would choose to participate one of these years.

Safe journey to all the participants!
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Live broadcast of games

Hiarcs Chess Explorer users can watch the games from Yokohama live. Click on File and then Open Url

For the WCCC enter http://icga.uvt.nl/wp-uploads/conference/WCCC/games.pgn

For the WCSC enter http://icga.uvt.nl/wp-uploads/conference/WCSC/games.pgn

The playing schedule is here all times are Japanese so a bit of conversion needed:

ernst

Post by ernst »

6 Participants, this is laughable. I can't imagine anybody takes this serious anymore.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

ernst wrote:6 Participants, this is laughable. I can't imagine anybody takes this serious anymore.
Indeed. And the new "World Champion" is probably barely even a Top 10 engine. As a world championship, an epic fail.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Modern Times wrote:
ernst wrote:6 Participants, this is laughable. I can't imagine anybody takes this serious anymore.
Indeed. And the new "World Champion" is probably barely even a Top 10 engine. As a world championship, an epic fail.
I wonder if the sponsor (the Yokohama University) is aware of this.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Rebel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
Based on the CCRL best versions list, Hiarcs 14 is rated #9...

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Shredder will win the event, stomping everyone in the process. It's been quite awhile since a release from that camp, and what better way that trouncing the competition at the WCCC.

With 6 participants... I guess one would call it a World Championship, and certainly who ever wins the event will market themselves as such. The casual fan wouldn't know the difference and would likely still bring in some sales. People here however know that none of the participants would have a shot at beating Houdini, Komodo, or Stockfish in a serious match.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
bob

Post by bob »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
Based on the CCRL best versions list, Hiarcs 14 is rated #9...

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Shredder will win the event, stomping everyone in the process. It's been quite awhile since a release from that camp, and what better way that trouncing the competition at the WCCC.

With 6 participants... I guess one would call it a World Championship, and certainly who ever wins the event will market themselves as such. The casual fan wouldn't know the difference and would likely still bring in some sales. People here however know that none of the participants would have a shot at beating Houdini, Komodo, or Stockfish in a serious match.

Peter
What could be done to solve this? Allow a derivative (houdini)? Hold a gun to Don and Larry's head to make them enter?
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

bob wrote:
What could be done to solve this? Allow a derivative (houdini)? Hold a gun to Don and Larry's head to make them enter?
Well, they could at least enter Stockfish with an independent operator.
Of course Shredder, Hiarcs and Junior programmer, who hope to get another phony title, wouldn't be too happy about that.

As it is now it is just a joke event.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I would certainly like to see one of the non-commercials win.