WCCC 2013 in Yokohama

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

velmarin

Re: WCCC 2013 in Yokohama

Post by velmarin »

hgm wrote:
It is not really a mystery why Houdini categorically refuses to participate in tournaments that use own books. :lol:

Where do you get that?

I think if Houdini is invited or permitted has never a problem.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:
Mike S. wrote:Alone the fact that this is being discussed, is very telling about what the general audience thinks about that group of opponents.
It is actually more telling about the intelligence level of this 'general audience'.
Thanks God I didn't throw an opinion or two down there :mrgreen:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

If e.g. Hiarcs would have gained +100 Elo over the latest public release, which is VERY optimistical, it would still lose to Houdini 3 with 33-67.
Regards, Mike
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

hgm wrote:I am pretty sure the odds are overwhelmingly against that. Running on a low-end phone you take an 500-800 Elo hit compared to running on a heavy multi-chip server machine.

Do you really believe Houdini has the required 800-1100 Elo advantage (on equal hardware) over Shredder needed to crush it in 25 moves in those conditions?

Fact is that the pretty marginal advantage it does have on equal hardware is likely more than offset by the much better books used by the participants. That makes that its chances to win the WCCC, if it would register in addition to the currently registered field, are not really very good. You must be really a lot stronger than the rest of the field if you are outnumbered by a lot of nearly equal opponents to get a better than 50-50 winning chance, as almost certainly one of those will be more lucky than you.

It is not really a mystery why Houdini categorically refuses to participate in tournaments that use own books. :lol:
How many games? Is it Swiss? If, for example there are 13 games each with 10 participants, and Houdini is 200-500 points stronger than other participants, as it seems the case, then it has sizable chances to win it on equal hardware, say 50-70% (a guesstimate), book preparation or not. The best strategy of Houdini would be to shorten the book lines (h2-h3 and similar), as it has an excellent opening play, above its rating lists performance.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Mike S. wrote:If e.g. Hiarcs would have gained +100 Elo over the latest public release, which is VERY optimistical, it would still lose to Houdini 3 with 33-67.
Indeed. But it will not play 100 games. It will at most play one game against it. In which it would on average only do 0.16 point better than its competitors playing each other. The opponents will not always draw...
hgm

Post by hgm »

velmarin wrote:Where do you get that?
Publicly stated here by Robert Houdart on several occasions.
I think if Houdini is invited or permitted has never a problem.
Where did you get that????
overlord

Post by overlord »

I belive that Houdini on smartphone will defeat Fritz,Shredder,Junior or Hiarcs (12 cores).I would like to know Robert opinion :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

overlord wrote:I belive that Houdini on smartphone will defeat Fritz,Shredder,Junior or Hiarcs (12 cores).I would like to know Robert opinion :)
Maybe running on a Samsung Galaxy 4 octal device........

Just maybe.....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

overlord wrote:I belive that Houdini on smartphone will defeat Fritz,Shredder,Junior or Hiarcs (12 cores).I would like to know Robert opinion :)
Why Robert opinion? 30 fold speed handicap is about 300 Elo points, more than the advantage Houdini has.
Last edited by Laskos on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, that says more about you than Houdini, then...