FICS server down

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dayffd

FICS server down

Post by Dayffd »

"FICS server is currently down due to hacker activities" (Think that is the exact wording). !@#$%
David S.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: FICS server down

Post by zullil »

Dayffd wrote:"FICS server is currently down due to hacker activities" (Think that is the exact wording). !@#$%
Not quite, but close enough. :D

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 26&t=48690
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

zullil wrote:
Dayffd wrote:"FICS server is currently down due to hacker activities" (Think that is the exact wording). !@#$%
Not quite, but close enough. :D

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 26&t=48690
Left out the "until further notification " :) I do not have a whole lot of sympathy for hackers.
David S.
Red Hood

Post by Red Hood »

FICS is a lame server anyway. It's a haven for cheaters and hackers of all sorts.
There is always a light at end of the tunnel. Just make sure it isn't a train!
jdart

Post by jdart »

I've been on it for a long time - since 1996.

It has a smaller user population than ICC but it does have a number of computer accounts that don't use ICC due to cost.

It is true that (C)heating by human players is unfortunately more of a problem there: the admins don't keep as tight a lid on it compared to ICC. That said, they have shut down abusing accounts.

--Jon
skoony

Post by skoony »

Red Hood wrote:FICS is a lame server anyway. It's a haven for cheaters and hackers of all sorts.
and of course icc is a paragon of virtue.
absolutly no cheating there.
:)
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.
Red Hood

Post by Red Hood »

Well i haven't been on ICC that long. Longest i have ever been is a month and i never notices someone was cheating. I'm very paranoid with that stuff, and if i didn't noticed then....

ICC is a paying service and i don't think they will allow such behavior. A lot VIP GM's are there so.

Of course some of them are going to pass through all the protection but ICC has eyes watching so they will put end to that very quickly. It's not viral like on FICS. I mean a out of 10 people 9 are cheating.
There is always a light at end of the tunnel. Just make sure it isn't a train!
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Red Hood wrote:Well i haven't been on ICC that long. Longest i have ever been is a month and i never notices someone was cheating. I'm very paranoid with that stuff, and if i didn't noticed then....

ICC is a paying service and i don't think they will allow such behavior. A lot VIP GM's are there so.

Of course some of them are going to pass through all the protection but ICC has eyes watching so they will put end to that very quickly. It's not viral like on FICS. I mean a out of 10 people 9 are cheating.
I don't think it is quite that high (9/10); more like maybe 7/10 which is excessive anyway. I do recall one time I played a game there that was actually funny: my opponent answered every single move so fast that at the end of the game he had used maybe, and I do mean maybe, one whole second of time. :) Oh yeah...I lost. Imagine that! LOL!
David S.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

Dayffd wrote:I don't think it is quite that high (9/10); more like maybe 7/10 which is excessive anyway.
Do people actually believe this 9/10 or 7/10 cheating at FICS assertion?

Numbers like that and retaining tens of thousands of active members would be impossible. Think about it.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't think it is that high, either. If it were everybody would be rated > 2000.

--Jon