Another suspicious case?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

noctiferus

Another suspicious case?

Post by noctiferus »

bob

Re: Another suspicious case?

Post by bob »

one question anybody would have to answer is "why broadcast games in real-time"? That makes cheating so much easier, as now you only have to get moves TO the cheater. If games are delayed by at least one or two moves, that can't be done. If the cheater has to sent moves to his accomplice, it is easier to detect.
Ajedrecista

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Bob:
bob wrote:
one question anybody would have to answer is "why broadcast games in real-time"? That makes cheating so much easier, as now you only have to get moves TO the cheater. If games are delayed by at least one or two moves, that can't be done. If the cheater has to sent moves to his accomplice, it is easier to detect.
I completely agree with you. Other issue is the live video broadcasting, where chessboards are updated with few delay, even with live GM, IM or FM analysis. In cases with multiple games, the two-move delays do not work because a player can think for a long time while in other game there could be a bunch of moves played quickly (for example trivial captures/exchanges). Then, other methods have to be thought. Just my opinion.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

This is beyond suspicious. He had an active cell phone in his possession. It seems to me this is an open and shut case, quite unlike the Ivanov incidents.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

bob wrote:
This looks like what they will be doing in the future. Having some kind of delay. The player said he was not cheating. Maybe he was or was not cheating. But that is irrelevant if the player had a active device. That is why he was disqualified, but looks like he can not be charged with fraud, since the police determined they could not seize his cell phone for evidence. They must not have been able to determine he was receiving moves, by examining the device.

What would be strange is if the games did match Houdini up to 100% as reported. It is hard to get Houdini to agree with itself all the time. You have to take some details in the reports with a gain of salt in today's world. People are paranoid with all the cheating reports. But it looks like the tournament director did everything right.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

bob wrote:
I think that the reason is clear and there are people who are interested to see the games in real time and not in delay.

Of course it has disadvantage of making cheating easier but every decision has advantages and disadvantages.

preventing cheating is not the only thing that people want otherwise it is possible to add more rules to prevent cheating.

For example you can prevent other players to watch games that are not of themselves because if a player watch a game that is not his game then the same player can also help his friend by telling him what to move and you do not need to talk in order to do it.

It is possible to cheat by some agreement between A and B for example if A touch his head then A means that B should move with the queen and if A touch his left leg he means that B should move with the knight.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

SzG wrote:
Uri Blass wrote: I think that the reason is clear and there are people who are interested to see the games in real time and not in delay.
I can't see how anyone's interests are hurt by e.g. a one hour delay. If there is a tournament in America I can't watch the games live anyway, I can only replay them a whole day later. So what?
The same can be said also about football games or basketball games but people prefer to see them live in the tv and not to do something else and watch a video of the game later.

I know even of a player who offered a draw in a chess game when he had a winning advantage and the reason was that he wanted to see a game of a basketball team in the tv and did not want to watch it later.

This is not that I care personally about seeing chess games live but I imagine that there are people with a different opinion.
gerold

Post by gerold »

SzG wrote:
Uri Blass wrote: I think that the reason is clear and there are people who are interested to see the games in real time and not in delay.
I can't see how anyone's interests are hurt by e.g. a one hour delay. If there is a tournament in America I can't watch the games live anyway, I can only replay them a whole day later. So what?
If i know who won or lost the game ahead of time sometimes i don't care about watching the whole game later cause i already know the results of the game. Live games are more exciting.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I heard about another case in a tournament in israel.

black came to the rest room when it was his move to play during 2 consecutive moves.

This made white suspicious and he asked to check the cell phone of black.

The referee found that the cell phone of black was turned on during the game and it was enough to decide correctly that black lost the game.

Black did not get additional punsihement because there was no proof that black used the phone to analyze the game but probably he did it because there was also a chess program inside the cell phone.