I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Post by geots » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 am

I write this as I am about to try to get some sleep, so when I wake up maybe some will have seen it. Maybe it is because I know so little that more people would be able to help than I imagine.

I have 2 intel i5 4Core systems running off one KVM switch strong enough to easily handle both. And have never had a problem- so that is not it. It just gives me the benefit on both running off same monitor and keyboard.


On a 4Core, if I am running a match with one core each, it goes straight to 25 under CPU in task mgr. And when thinking goes to the other engine- it switches straight to 25 also and stays there. I =t should- and always has.

But now one of them is acting up- the other is fine. What it does, when it is his turn to think, it goes to 18 or 19 or maybe 21, 22. 23- but very seldom will it go to 25. When next engine thinks, same thing. Never does it use a full CPU. So I tick the box to show me all running applications and I find something I have never notices before and no idea what it is. It is an EXE. and its name is WmiPrvSE. I googled it and too many diff. and conflicting answers. I solve a lot using google- but not when there is danger a wrong move could shut me down.

This exe i mention is taking too much CPU, and jumping all over the place. It is prohibiting each engine from getting what it needs somehow- because when I restart it will work right for 2 or 3 games- and when that happens- this exe I mention is using little or nothing- and all is as it should be. But it won't last. One guy says NEVER remove it from your system- but offers a couple solutions for me that might as well be in Chinese.

If anyone knows what the WmiPrvSE exe is, and what I can do to stop this- dear Jesus let me know. PLease.



All the best and thank you-

george


PS: They all do agree on one thing- for what it is worth- this exe IS NOT a microsoft application.

karger
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am
Full name: John Karger

Re: I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Post by karger » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:37 am

The culprit is : IMON manager.
If by any chance you have an imon manager : it starts a wmiprvse.exe *32 for monitoring hardware all the time (even if you uncheck the Hardware info box in frontview)

By killing Imon manager you can now put the computer in standby mode and get it up without any problems. If you are am running iMon Manager and stop it , the WmiPrvSE.exe CPU time will drop all the way down.... John Karger

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Post by geots » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 am

karger wrote:The culprit is : IMON manager.
If by any chance you have an imon manager : it starts a wmiprvse.exe *32 for monitoring hardware all the time (even if you uncheck the Hardware info box in frontview)

By killing Imon manager you can now put the computer in standby mode and get it up without any problems. If you are am running iMon Manager and stop it , the WmiPrvSE.exe CPU time will drop all the way down.... John Karger



John- thank you. However I did forget to mention there is a very good reason it is not a problem on the other system tied to the KVM switch. In task manager- it is nonexistent.


Back to the one giving me the problem; I have 3 questions.

1.No problem in the last year and a half. Why all of a sudden now?

2. If I do as you say, and it solves the problem as far as computer chess- will I notice a loss anywhere else on that computer?

3. Is there any way possible you can give me a list of steps to solve this problem in Windows 7 that an average 5 or 7 year old could understand. (Assuming I know nothing- leave nothing out.)

If you can do this- you are my hero for life.



Thanks so much,

george

karger
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am
Full name: John Karger

Re: I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Post by karger » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 am

I do not know why it happened now. It should not cause any further problems. The steps shown are for Win 7. Here is a possible reason for a cause from another Win7 user with the same problem... My high CPU usage problem turned out to be caused by a covertly installed software program called “Search Protect” by a manufacturer that goes by the name of “Conduit”. I have a 1.8 GHz single core processor. The constant 50 plus percent CPU usage caused by the problem rendered the Windows 7 (x84) installation virtually unusable. I started this computer on July 2, 2013 for maintenance after it had not been started for about over 2 months. The only thing that was installed in the computer after it had been started was the usual slew of updates from Windows, Microsoft, and perhaps Adobe and Java. I noticed the high CPU usage problem and after many hours over a period of about 3 days I pinpointed the problem to the “Windows Management Instrumentation” (WMI) service along with the “WmiPrvSE.exe” process and two associated “ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart” threads in particular. At that point I was about to take the drastic measure of using a work around to delete the WmiPrvSE.exe system file entirely from the computer (which would have probably been a big mistake). After more research I came across an article entitled “Manually Fixing High CPU Usage” at WindowsAnswers.net that suggested that I check out the startup programs as part of an overall troubleshooting strategy. That made sense since I could make the high CPU usage problem go away if I either restarted or paused (and resumed) the “Windows Management Instrumentation” service. But the problem always came back after I restarted the computer. So I used the Windows System Configuration utility to restart the computer with all of the startup programs disabled. After the computer restarted and it stabilized the high CPU usage problem was gone. I then set about the painstaking process of using the System Configuration utility to disable one startup program at a time and then restarting the computer. When I got to Search Protect by Conduit the problem went away BUT after one or more restarts the problem came back! So I went back to the System Configuration utility and to my surprise the Search Protect by Conduit box had been mysteriously rechecked! I then Google searched “Search Protect by Conduit” and found that the program may have been installed by a third party program directly into the Programs and Features (installed programs) folder. I opened the Programs and Features folder and to my surprise, there was Search Protect installed on July 2, 2013. I uninstalled the program and the high CPU usage problem went away entirely. At the risk of throwing out an arrow of suspicion where it may not be warranted, the only thing that was installed in this computer on July 2, 2013 was 24 Windows and Microsoft updates and perhaps (I can’t recall for sure) an Adobe Reader and Java update. I could not check the Windows System Restore interface for an update history because it was not set up. I have to think that Search Protect was either installed along with an update or that it was somehow activated to be installed during an update. In any event I would advise anyone that is having the high CPU usage problem to start by going to the System Configuration utility and seeing if Search Protect by Conduit is in the list of startup programs. If it is then you can delete it entirely from the Programs and Features folder. If it is NOT in the list then you should use the System Configuration utility to restart the computer with all of the startup programs disabled by un-checking the “Load startup items” box under “Selective startup” to see if the problem may be caused by another startup program.

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Post by geots » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 am

karger wrote:I do not know why it happened now. It should not cause any further problems. The steps shown are for Win 7. Here is a possible reason for a cause from another Win7 user with the same problem... My high CPU usage problem turned out to be caused by a covertly installed software program called “Search Protect” by a manufacturer that goes by the name of “Conduit”. I have a 1.8 GHz single core processor. The constant 50 plus percent CPU usage caused by the problem rendered the Windows 7 (x84) installation virtually unusable. I started this computer on July 2, 2013 for maintenance after it had not been started for about over 2 months. The only thing that was installed in the computer after it had been started was the usual slew of updates from Windows, Microsoft, and perhaps Adobe and Java. I noticed the high CPU usage problem and after many hours over a period of about 3 days I pinpointed the problem to the “Windows Management Instrumentation” (WMI) service along with the “WmiPrvSE.exe” process and two associated “ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart” threads in particular. At that point I was about to take the drastic measure of using a work around to delete the WmiPrvSE.exe system file entirely from the computer (which would have probably been a big mistake). After more research I came across an article entitled “Manually Fixing High CPU Usage” at WindowsAnswers.net that suggested that I check out the startup programs as part of an overall troubleshooting strategy. That made sense since I could make the high CPU usage problem go away if I either restarted or paused (and resumed) the “Windows Management Instrumentation” service. But the problem always came back after I restarted the computer. So I used the Windows System Configuration utility to restart the computer with all of the startup programs disabled. After the computer restarted and it stabilized the high CPU usage problem was gone. I then set about the painstaking process of using the System Configuration utility to disable one startup program at a time and then restarting the computer. When I got to Search Protect by Conduit the problem went away BUT after one or more restarts the problem came back! So I went back to the System Configuration utility and to my surprise the Search Protect by Conduit box had been mysteriously rechecked! I then Google searched “Search Protect by Conduit” and found that the program may have been installed by a third party program directly into the Programs and Features (installed programs) folder. I opened the Programs and Features folder and to my surprise, there was Search Protect installed on July 2, 2013. I uninstalled the program and the high CPU usage problem went away entirely. At the risk of throwing out an arrow of suspicion where it may not be warranted, the only thing that was installed in this computer on July 2, 2013 was 24 Windows and Microsoft updates and perhaps (I can’t recall for sure) an Adobe Reader and Java update. I could not check the Windows System Restore interface for an update history because it was not set up. I have to think that Search Protect was either installed along with an update or that it was somehow activated to be installed during an update. In any event I would advise anyone that is having the high CPU usage problem to start by going to the System Configuration utility and seeing if Search Protect by Conduit is in the list of startup programs. If it is then you can delete it entirely from the Programs and Features folder. If it is NOT in the list then you should use the System Configuration utility to restart the computer with all of the startup programs disabled by un-checking the “Load startup items” box under “Selective startup” to see if the problem may be caused by another startup program.




Hi John. I wanted you to know I felt really bad by not getting back to you when I woke. Problem was I don't own a laptop, and my back and that damned lower disc would not let me move. It is just now that I got to the computer. I did not want you to think I was saying "hell with you" or whatever. Lately you always seem to be the first to my aid- and I really appreciate that- you will see how much if you ever need anything.

Having said this, first before posting this- for whatever reason I cannot make it replicate the screw-up. Why it is working fine, I haven't a clue. I had just about 4 hours before run a spyware, malware scan. So another showed nothing. And in the year I have used this spyware, malware system that Dell took over my computer and accidentally left one time, in all McAfee scans for over a year, they come up with nothing but huge O's for any type of problem. It can't handle viruses, but can tell me McAfee needs to have a look.

If I had to come up with "anything" I guess I would say that instead of restarting for the nth time, I actually unplugged the power from the back of that computer for about 4 or 5 minutes. I am holding my breath, and will let it go as long as it is working right. The ONLY PROBLEM right now is I hope since it works right at the moment- I have not wasted too much of your time.

(If it happens again- I am copying and pasting your thread here. It could turn out to be worth its weight in gold.)

Again, I appreciate your time and effort-

george

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Oh Holy Crap John! It's Doing It Again!!

Post by geots » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 am

I spoke too soon, and I cannot imagine why it would start after well over a year of use. And it could not have been doing it without my knowledge. Like some people are addicted to porn- I am addicted to "Task Manager". I found on my system the "WMI" you refer to and even found them talking about the exact culprit "WmiPrvSe.exe". I tried hard- you cannot imagine how hard- to understand. But the "Search Protect by Conduit" is nowhere to be found. Just a bunch of different options we haven't discussed. I mean- I gotta be close when I see "WMI" and the culprit exe name. I am not about to delete it, however I am 100% positive it was not installed by or has no affiliation with- Microsoft.

So I found it and have no clue what to do. I have seen enough of this stuff to know that when it gets like this- to fix it is going to mean someone will have to take over my computer on their end, get in it and find out what is going on. Possibly someone could talk me thru something over the phone- but that is "iffy". It is not a knock on you- because to solve my problem, first you have to fix "STUPID" on my end. And that can easily be more difficult than the problem itself.

I am just sick of "it's always something." Sitting here with 2, 4-Core i5s and a 6-Core i7 along with another twin 6-Core i7, and I am seriously considering just quitting all this shit. I am an expert tester- some as good- but "zero" better. But no big deal there- give me 9 months and I could teach a baboon to run an engine test. But there is just too much about computers that is Greek to me. Sure, I wish I had my dear friend Pete Skinner's acumen with this stuff- but I don't and never will. At 64- I just waited too long in my life to get started. But it is never too early to give in and call the dogs on this fiasco.



All the best, ( and "Thank You")

george

Modern Times
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Oh Holy Crap John! It's Doing It Again!!

Post by Modern Times » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am

Do you use any of the Windows gadgets George ? I suspect not, but worth asking.

Also, have you deleted any users on the system ?

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Oh Holy Crap John! It's Doing It Again!!

Post by geots » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:50 am

Modern Times wrote:Do you use any of the Windows gadgets George ? I suspect not, but worth asking.

Also, have you deleted any users on the system ?



Both were worth asking- but "no" to each. However, I think I may have found the culprit. John's system, being not exactly the same as mine, may have different apps and stuff in different locations or in a different way. When I found "Search Protect by Conduit"- he had said that was the problem. I went to "Administrative Tools/System Configuration/Startup". As John said, I found there the list with "Search Protect by Conduit". I unticked the box as he said, and restarted as required and went back to Fritz 11. I ran an engine match giving each engine 1 Core each. They both went straight to "25" and stayed there thru the whole thinking process. Perfect. I checked and the main culprit- WmiPrvSe.exe was using "0 CPU" in task mgr. Then I start and engine-engine match giving Houdini and Komodo 4 Cores each- the max on that system. But each one when his turn came was thinking under CPU 94 or 95- when it should have been 99 for each. I checked, and the damn exe was using 4 or 5 under CPU at all times. So I go back to Sys. Config. and check the "Search Protect Conduit" and it was still unticked. I was ready to give up, but I don't know what made me scroll the list again, and I will be damned- the "Search by Conduit" was there again in a different place with a check mark. So when I unticked it also, it went from near the top to the bottom with the other unticked one. Now were they both there in the beginning- or did an application put it there again because the other was unticked? That I cannot be sure of. But if I find another 3rd ticked one, I will have the answer for sure. Interesting is that after I unticked the 2nd one also, the "WmiPrvSE.exe" has completely left task mgr. It is no longer in that list of applications. Hopefully it will hold- who knows.

My question to the people who say don't delete it- if it is so important, why is it not in my other 4-Core i5, and I know it has not been in this system over a couple months- and it made it fine w/o it for over a year.

It was hidden in an update, and I imagine I know exactly the sorry bastard who would do it. I might could have avoided this if I wanted to switch it back so they alert me each time what company is trying to sneak something in on me. But if I do that it asks me every time I run Fritz 11 or Fritz 13 if I want to use something from "so and so". I know it won't happen with the big microsoft updates, because microsoft has no ties to it and does not support it.


Thanks, and hopefully it is gone forever.


gts

jundery
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 am

Re: Oh Holy Crap John! It's Doing It Again!!

Post by jundery » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 am

geots wrote: My question to the people who say don't delete it- if it is so important, why is it not in my other 4-Core i5, and I know it has not been in this system over a couple months- and it made it fine w/o it for over a year.
Don't delete it because it is a critical core Windows component, WMI is the Windows management interface, the only reason you see it using CPU is that other software on your computer (and Windows itself) uses it. When it's using a lot of CPU it is really some other software that makes it do this. Normally I wouldn't expect it to show up in task manager, or only briefly if it did.

Here is a technical link that would allow you to find the culprit if you are really interested. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wmi/archive/200 ... llain.aspx

James

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Oh Holy Crap John! It's Doing It Again!!

Post by geots » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:24 am

jundery wrote:
geots wrote: My question to the people who say don't delete it- if it is so important, why is it not in my other 4-Core i5, and I know it has not been in this system over a couple months- and it made it fine w/o it for over a year.
Don't delete it because it is a critical core Windows component, WMI is the Windows management interface, the only reason you see it using CPU is that other software on your computer (and Windows itself) uses it. When it's using a lot of CPU it is really some other software that makes it do this. Normally I wouldn't expect it to show up in task manager, or only briefly if it did.

Here is a technical link that would allow you to find the culprit if you are really interested. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wmi/archive/200 ... llain.aspx

James




Thank you very much. I will definitely read it more than once.



Best,

george

Post Reply