The official FIDE 2013 World Championship set

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: The official FIDE 2013 World Championship set

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:
sje wrote:At UK£200 (ca. US$350), here's an advertisement for the Official FIDE 2013 World Championship chess set:

http://www.sac-games.com/product.php?id_product=164
This is perhaps the most minimalist Staunton design implementation I've seen. If a process control engineer were to design a set to be manufactured with the least number of cuttings, it might look something like the above.

The reviews I've read are mixed. Interestingly, the objections are more focused on the price rather than the appearance.

De gustibus non est disputandum. My own thought is that FIDE should probably not be in the business of product endorsement.
Personally, I think the idea of FIDE competing with commercial companies is a bad one. They should be trying to stimulate business and not trying to own it.

As to the set, I think it looks pretty dreadful for $350. It is funny, since there have been many truly spectacular sets over the years in World Championships, and usually the players were the ones with the final say. Somehow, I get the feeling that was not the case here.

Frankly, most of the sets running for $90 - $150 by House of Staunton look better.[/quote]

Agreed 100%....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I notice that the picture on the box does not show the anorexic Knight.
sje

Post by sje »

The knight has an art-deco look, almost as if it were formed from bent sheet metal. It is even less detailed than the German Staunton knight, and that is saying something.

One thing about the set which I haven't seen before is the use of white felt bottom coverings for the white pieces and black felt for the black. It's a nice touch, but unfortunately mostly invisible in play.

Here's another set offered by the same dealer, more reasonably priced at UK£62/US$96:
http://www.sac-games.com/product.php?id_product=373

The above is quite similar to the sets I've seen used by players from Russia and I've thought about getting one, even if the bishops lack a mitre slice. I don't know if the style has an official name; a common appellation is "Zagreb 1959".
geots

The FIDE 2013 World Championship set- For Steven!!

Post by geots »

First, thank you for articles on chess sets- a subject I love. I cannot talk long tonight- I am sick. Maybe be back in a few days, then again........... My wife type for me here. I really wanted "just the boxed pieces" of the championship set. As I told you, I only use vinyl roll-up boards. (choice not necessity. Not being cute- but I could buy every wooden board over 200 bucks that shyster company sells)

Don't take this the wrong way- it "is what it is". There are graveyards of people (not figuratively, sadly- nothing for me to be proud of) whose biggest vice may have been to try and screw me over. Then again when you are my friend- it is for life.

Anyway, forget euros, pounds and US dollars. I gotta have a broker who tells me each time there is a change in the value of the US dollar. Nothing to do with this. Can't stay- need a bit of oxygen. Wife can finish. If you caught them trying to do to you what they tried to pull on me price-wise............. A threat? No way- a goddam promise! (She is only typing what I wrote- she hates that word I just used.)

Love ya guy- Keep those "chess piece posts" coming. Please promise me that.

george
sje

Re: The FIDE 2013 World Championship set- For Steven!!

Post by sje »

I just ordered about a dozen more items, so there will be some new reviews in the coming weeks.