The official FIDE 2013 World Championship set

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

The official FIDE 2013 World Championship set

Post by sje »

At UK£200 (ca. US$350), here's an advertisement for the Official FIDE 2013 World Championship chess set:

http://www.sac-games.com/product.php?id_product=164
This is perhaps the most minimalist Staunton design implementation I've seen. If a process control engineer were to design a set to be manufactured with the least number of cuttings, it might look something like the above.

The reviews I've read are mixed. Interestingly, the objections are more focused on the price rather than the appearance.

De gustibus non est disputandum. My own thought is that FIDE should probably not be in the business of product endorsement.
Henk

Re: The official FIDE 2013 World Championship set

Post by Henk »

What does FIDE use for blindfold chess games ?
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Henk wrote:What does FIDE use for blindfold chess games ?
10 cubic centimeters of air, FIDE special prize : US$120
JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen »

In my old dos-version of Dabbaba I had a minimalist design:

By the way; I sometimes wonder why rooks are so small.... They are more valueable than knights and bishops....

best, jens
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Thanks for the link. May I ask what made FIDE decide on this particular chess set as their 2013 stand out? Quality, Price, Sponsorship? The King is unusual!

Thanks,

Sean
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Probably it's due to the B&W pictures, but I always liked a lot the set from the 1993 match between Short and Timman:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PhPl27EVI28/U ... ort.93.jpg

Best

E Diaz
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

FIDE Approved :lol:

As it's some kind of medicine or something :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
sje

Post by sje »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:FIDE Approved :lol:

Gens una sumus = "Give me the money"
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

sje wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:FIDE Approved :lol:

Gens una sumus = "Give me the money"
Indeed the case :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

sje wrote:At UK£200 (ca. US$350), here's an advertisement for the Official FIDE 2013 World Championship chess set:

http://www.sac-games.com/product.php?id_product=164
This is perhaps the most minimalist Staunton design implementation I've seen. If a process control engineer were to design a set to be manufactured with the least number of cuttings, it might look something like the above.

The reviews I've read are mixed. Interestingly, the objections are more focused on the price rather than the appearance.

De gustibus non est disputandum. My own thought is that FIDE should probably not be in the business of product endorsement.
Personally, I think the idea of FIDE competing with commercial companies is a bad one. They should be trying to stimulate business and not trying to own it.

As to the set, I think it looks pretty dreadful for $350. It is funny, since there have been many truly spectacular sets over the years in World Championships, and usually the players were the ones with the final say. Somehow, I get the feeling that was not the case here.

Frankly, most of the sets running for $90 - $150 by House of Staunton look better.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."