Need some GUI suggestions for running Tournaments

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Need some GUI suggestions for running Tournaments

Post by Adam Hair »

hgm wrote:Arena cannot do that? In WinBoard that is totally trivial. You can kill it any time, (or request it to stop after the current game finishes). And when you double click the tournament later, it will resume it. Of course you can also start a new tourney, and resume the interrupted one later; each tourney is a separate file. You can even 'resume' tourneys that are already running. That just adds extra playing agents to that tourney, to obtain concurency.
Arena can do these things as well.
You can also replace one engine by another in an ongoing tourney, and have all its games replayed with the new engine.
Arena might be able to do this, but I have never had cause to try to do it.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I would have expected Arena to be able to start and stop tourneys. It seems one of the most basic requirements to be workable in practice that you can recover from mishaps like power failures and computer crashes without losing everything. This is why I was surprised about the claim. I didn't know that Arena supported concurrency, however.

Graham used to allow upgrade of engines during a tourney, and then replay all their games. He sometimes also kicked engines out of a tourney that turned out to be buggy (losing on time too much, etc.). I put the feature in WinBoard on Gabor's request.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

I missed the reference to concurrency when I responded. Arena does not support concurrency.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Adam Hair wrote:I missed the reference to concurrency when I responded. Arena does not support concurrency.
neither does ChessGUI.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Paul Bedrey

Post by Paul Bedrey »

I see now that I have to press save to maintain settings. It was saved automatically in 3.0
I guess it will take a while to reacquaint myself with 2.01.