Komodo release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Komodo release

Post by Don »

We plan a release of Komodo 6 on Friday.

This does come with some bad news concerning the future status of Komodo. As many of you know I have a fatal illness. It has progressed to a point where it has now become an acute form of Lukemia. I'm losing this battle. It is quite possible this will be the last Komodo release that I am involved in.

But there are plans in the works to continue with Komodo. Larry Kaufman of course is my business partner and friend and he is intimately familiar with Komodo and is a big part of what makes it so strong and he does plan to continue. But don't count me out quite yet, I'm still fighting but it's unclear if I will have the strength to continue with computer chess and I will be on a type of chemotherapy indefinitely. There are more important things than computer chess which come first but if the energy is there I may be able to continue for a short time.

I don't want to sound too melodramatic here but I would like to say that I have very much enjoyed being a part of the computer chess community even with the battles that have gone on here! And all of those bad things I said about you ..... I take them all back :-)

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
AdminX

Re: Komodo release

Post by AdminX »

Don,

There are many here that care allot about the release of a new Komodo version. I just care that you take as best care of yourself as is possible.

Wishing you all the best,
Ted
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Gusev »

We love you!
Don

Post by Don »

AdminX wrote:Don,

There are many here that care allot about the release of a new Komodo version. I just care that you take as best care of yourself as is possible.

Wishing you all the best,
Ted
Your kind works are much appreciated Ted.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Don wrote:We plan a release of Komodo 6 on Friday.

This does come with some bad news concerning the future status of Komodo. As many of you know I have a fatal illness. It has progressed to a point where it has now become an acute form of Lukemia. I'm losing this battle. It is quite possible this will be the last Komodo release that I am involved in.

But there are plans in the works to continue with Komodo. Larry Kaufman of course is my business partner and friend and he is intimately familiar with Komodo and is a big part of what makes it so strong and he does plan to continue. But don't count me out quite yet, I'm still fighting but it's unclear if I will have the strength to continue with computer chess and I will be on a type of chemotherapy indefinitely. There are more important things than computer chess which come first but if the energy is there I may be able to continue for a short time.

I don't want to sound too melodramatic here but I would like to say that I have very much enjoyed being a part of the computer chess community even with the battles that have gone on here! And all of those bad things I said about you ..... I take them all back :-)

Don
It's really hard to know what to say Don, except to wish you the very best in your continuing battle against this nasty illness, as well as thank you for your tremendous ongoing efforts with Komodo.

Sort of puts things in perspective for all of us though. Life is way more important than computer chess.

Much respect,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Don
I didn't know. I had a thyroid cancer at the age of 27, during my PhD. Sure, a lighter cancer, but I really hope it ends well for you.
royb

Post by royb »

Don,

It was with great sadness that I read your post. While I'm a big fan of Komodo, the future of the program has nothing to do with my sadness. You are one of the nicest, most talented and hard working people in our computer chess community. I wish you the very best of luck in your fight against this disease.

Roy
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Don
Hi Don.

Do not believe in any medical diagnosis, believe in yourself.
Medics are often wrong, it is important how you feel.
If you believe you can overcome it, there are big chances you will.
Faith is everything.
And we will all be looking forward to Komodo 7 and Komodo 8 releases in a couple of years' time.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

If there's an OS X version of Komodo 6, I intend to purchase it. A small gesture of support, and a way to say thanks too.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Do you think that chess programming has a bad influence on health. They say top sport is bad for health. Maybe that holds for top chess programming. I imagine one might work under high pressure. Maybe one have to solve difficult bugs in too short time etc.