A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

noctiferus

A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Post by noctiferus »

reflectionofpower

Re: A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Post by reflectionofpower »

I think the guy is cheating too but they still haven't proven how he does it. This is stated near the end, "We have done a little research and found that, unfortunately, there is a very low-tech way to cheat in chess: a modern Android or Apple smartphone easily fits into a shoe, and you can use your toes to send signals to the motion detector in the phone. Little wiggles will do it. Or the toe could be used to tap on the LED screen. The response of the phone would be short bursts of vibration. An app could handle the interface to a chess engine running on the device. So it is not really necessary to work out very complicated communication system to explain how a player may be using computer assistance during a chess tournament." I think that's kind of stretching it. That explanation is very broad and not getting into specifics. Interesting story though.
kranium

Post by kranium »

so Chessbase and Maxim Dlugy are convinced they have discovered the secret about how Ivanov cheats....

(and for some reason not discussed in the article, the required metal detector scan does not detect it)

he simply wears over-sized shoes in which he hides a mobile device!

according to them, he simply taps on the LED keyboard with his toes to send and receive moves...

:shock:

my understanding was that Ivanov grew up in Romania?
(not in the jungles tree tops of Madagascar)
Last edited by kranium on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

kranium wrote:.....according to them, he simply taps on the LED keyboard with his toes to send and receive moves...

So how does he see the moves? X-ray glasses? :lol:
I believe that he probably cheats too, but you really need solid proof rather than laughable theories.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
kranium

Post by kranium »

Graham Banks wrote:
kranium wrote:.....according to them, he simply taps on the LED keyboard with his toes to send and receive moves...

So how does he see the moves? X-ray glasses? :lol:
he has the device set on (quiet) vibrate and has exceptionally sensitive feet!
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

That is the dumbest crap I have ever read. If he is cheating I doubt that this is how he is doing it. If so I wish someone would repeat this feat and show us how he is doing it. Make a video and post it.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Adam Hair »

AdminX wrote:
That is the dumbest crap I have ever read. If he is cheating I doubt that this is how he is doing it. If so I wish someone would repeat this feat and show us how he is doing it. Make a video and post it.
Exactly. A picture of a shoe with a smart phone in it does not mean that the speculated manner of cheating is plausible.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I was really surprised that they let him continue in the tournament after a player complained and he refused to permit inspection of his shoes. He was only forfeited his single game with Dlugy. I am not an arbiter or TD but I don't think that is a sufficient penalty.

--Jon
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

I don't think he has a smartphone in his shoe. You can't get past a metal detector with a smartphone in your shoe... This is just dumb. Furthermore, no smartphone is designed for receiving signals from toes.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't know if he did or not but many people have suspicions about him and he is apparently banned from many tournaments.

Here, a cheating accusation was made and the TD tried to clear it up but Ivanov did not cooperate. Then he's allowed to finish the tournament, maybe even win? Does not make sense to me.

--Jon