Don Dailey

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

Re: Don Dailey

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Sad news. Best of spirits to Don and best of luck to his family.

Best
Dan H.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.

Larry Kaufman
To Don Dailey,

Thank you for everything and for your wonderful legacy. You are truly one of the greats!

I pray we will see you again soon.

Cliff
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Giorgio Medeot

Post by Giorgio Medeot »

Don is one of those folks who had insipred me and gave me motivation to enter into the computer chess world.
I have to thank him, among others, for I have tried that feeling you get when you see your engine coming to life and playing its first game...

This place will not be the same without him, should he suffer this sad fate.

Ciao Don,
  • Giorgio
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

I am very sorry to hear Don will not be with us much longer. I would like to extend my condolences to his family and friends.
David S.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

You have my sympathy for Don and his family.
aturri

Post by aturri »

We will miss your great comments and wise teachings about programming, but even more, your pleasant company. We will always remember you, Don :cry:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

I love the life ! Sometimes I prefer to be silent.
Don will be some moments with his very old friends. Then, again all together ! Don't be sad, please !

SilvianR
E.G.R.

Post by E.G.R. »

Chess lovers are all with you Don .....
do you not give up
Be a dragon, once again!
bob

Re: Don Dailey - Some advice for posters

Post by bob »

It seems very unlikely that Don has access to CCC. Which means the best wishes from everyone won't be seen by him. It would be far better to dig up his address and send him a hand-written note expressing your sympathy, thanks, etc. From personal experience, those notes mean a lot to the recipient... Public sentiments will likely not be seen by him, unfortunately...
bob

Re: Don Dailey - Some advice for posters

Post by bob »

It seems very unlikely that Don has access to CCC. Which means the best wishes from everyone won't be seen by him. It would be far better to dig up his address and send him a hand-written note expressing your sympathy, thanks, etc. From personal experience, those notes mean a lot to the recipient... Public sentiments will likely not be seen by him, unfortunately...