First Impressions (Deep Fritz 14)?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mithu

First Impressions (Deep Fritz 14)?

Post by Mithu »

Any first impressions friends about the new DF14? What are the changes regarding the GUI and/or the Engine style?

Please care to elaborate?

For those of you who have bought it via download - it is available online - is it a good idea to get the box or better to d/l? AFAIK there was no difference before but since this is a new product the packaging may have changed?
Albert Silver

Re: First Impressions (Deep Fritz 14)?

Post by Albert Silver »

Mithu wrote:Any first impressions friends about the new DF14? What are the changes regarding the GUI and/or the Engine style?

For those of you who have bought it via download - it is available online - is it a good idea to get the box or better to d/l? AFAIK there was no difference before but since this is a new product the packaging may have changed?
The GUI is unchanged other than the fact it already contains the patches published over the past year. The overall package contents are the new engine, the updated database, and the new opening book by Alexander Kure.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Albert Silver wrote:
Mithu wrote:Any first impressions friends about the new DF14? What are the changes regarding the GUI and/or the Engine style?

The GUI is unchanged other than the fact it already contains the patches published over the past year. The overall package contents are the new engine, the updated database, and the new opening book by Alexander Kure.

I don't think this is accurate. The new GUI is offered in 64-bit which is apparently required by the 64-bit version of new engine by mr. Horvath. I have already hit snags with it running engine matches which did not occur with the previous version. I agree that functionally it seems equivalent (at least in intetent).

Please note that new 64-bit engine won't run in an older CB GUI which I find annoying (as it is possible to run any 64-bit UCI engine there).

PK
noctiferus

Post by noctiferus »

Any feeling about Fr_andix?
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi what problems have you had with engine matches
"May your next game be your best"
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Hurnavich wrote:Hi what problems have you had with engine matches
Occasional crashes in matches against stable engines. I don't think I had a single crash in matches between DF12/DF13 against engines like Shredder 12 or Zappa. In my early tests under DF14 GUI I got the GUI to crash a few times in the first week of testing. I stress that it is sporadic.

PK
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

You should send them an email they may work on a patch update
"May your next game be your best"
ernest

Post by ernest »

Albert Silver wrote:The GUI is unchanged other than the fact it already contains the patches published over the past year.
Any idea if the GUI alone (of course not the 64-bit Pandix engine) runs on a 32-bit system, in particular with the previous Fritz and 32-bit UCI engines?
schack

Post by schack »

There are both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the GUI>
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

Albert Silver wrote: The GUI is unchanged other than the fact it already contains the patches published over the past year. The overall package contents are the new engine, the updated database, and the new opening book by Alexander Kure.
Thank you my dear friends for all the helpful responses! Unfortunately they are throwing a lot more questions whether I must buy it or not!
kasinp wrote: I don't think this is accurate. The new GUI is offered in 64-bit which is apparently required by the 64-bit version of new engine by mr. Horvath. I have already hit snags with it running engine matches which did not occur with the previous version. I agree that functionally it seems equivalent (at least in intetent).

Please note that new 64-bit engine won't run in an older CB GUI which I find annoying (as it is possible to run any 64-bit UCI engine there).

PK
Which means that I will never be able to run DF14 in F13 GUI? Have you tried it in CB12?

THAT is a serious problem for me now.