Houdini can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George

Houdini can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back!

Post by George »

In a game of 6 Hours per side, houdini is so powerful that it can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back during the game :lol:
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Houdini can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves ba

Post by zullil »

George wrote:In a game of 6 Hours per side, houdini is so powerful that it can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back during the game :lol:
Is this a conjecture or a theorem? :wink:
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

George wrote:In a game of 6 Hours per side, houdini is so powerful that it can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back during the game :lol:
A better question, could Houdini beat Carlsen 12 out 12 games, without Carlsen even drawing 1 game? I think yes.
George

Post by George »

mschribr wrote:
A better question, could Houdini beat Carlsen 12 out 12 games, without Carlsen even drawing 1 game? I think yes.
I think that you are overestimating Houdini, remember that Houdini nor any other program has played versus any GM over 2750 with a long time control of 6 hours per side.

PS: There are a lot of positions that neither Houdini nor Stockfish can evaluate correctly and eventually will play an inferior move. All that Carlsen has to do is slowly force one of those many positions and B A N G *%$#&^*($^#$#)** And Houdini would be without a clue of how to continue :lol:
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

George wrote:
mschribr wrote:
I think that you are overestimating Houdini, remember that Houdini nor any other program has played versus any GM over 2750 with a long time control of 6 hours per side.

PS: There are a lot of positions that neither Houdini nor Stockfish can evaluate correctly and eventually will play an inferior move. All that Carlsen has to do is slowly force one of those many positions and B A N G *%$#&^*($^#$#)** And Houdini would be without a clue of how to continue :lol:
Or Carlsen could force a quiet and drawish opening, or he may try some anti-computer strategy.

A lot would depend on the book the engine is allowed to use.
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Houdini will never have a blunder big enough for Carlsen to capitalize. But Houdini will capitalize on every one of Carlsen's blunders. Just look at the championship just finished today. Carlsen blundered away a win. Carlsen cannot accurately look ahead 30 moved. The computer sees beyond the Carlsen's horizon
George

Post by George »

mschribr wrote:Houdini will never have a blunder big enough for Carlsen to capitalize. But Houdini will capitalize on every one of Carlsen's blunders. Just look at the championship just finished today. Carlsen blundered away a win. Carlsen cannot accurately look ahead 30 moved. The computer sees beyond the Carlsen's horizon

Now look at my initial thread, I said that Carlsen could take back any three moves during the games, just in case that he blunder :lol:
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

George wrote:Now look at my initial thread, I said that Carlsen could take back any three moves during the games, just in case that he blunder :lol:
Which move would Carlsen take back? To Carlsen these are not blunders. All carlsen's sees is that he is losing after 30 moves. Carlsen will wonder where I went wrong. A blunder for Houdini is not the same as a blunder for Carlsen.
George

Post by George »

mschribr wrote:
George wrote:Now look at my initial thread, I said that Carlsen could take back any three moves during the games, just in case that he blunder :lol:
Which move would Carlsen take back? To Carlsen these are not blunders. All carlsen's sees is that he is losing after 30 moves. Carlsen will wonder where I went wrong. A blunder for Houdini is not the same as a blunder for Carlsen.
Yes, but a position like this one Houdini to play with white will have a hard time to find the draw without using a tablebase:
[D]8/R2Pk3/Pr6/7P/3r4/p5N1/7K/8 w - - 0 1[/quote]

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2013.11.23"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Stockfish_4_32bit"]
[Black "Vet Admin"]
[Result "*"]
[BlackElo "2400"]
[Time "00:04:34"]
[TimeControl "1200+1"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "8/R2Pk3/Pr6/7P/3r4/p5N1/7K/8 w - - 0 1"]
[Termination "unterminated"]
[PlyCount "15"]
[WhiteType "Stockfish"]
[BlackType "George"]

1. Nf5+ Kd8 2. Nxd4 a2 3. Ra8+ Kxd7 4. Ra7+ Ke8 5. Ra8+ Kf7 6. Ra7+ Kg8 7.
Ra8+ Kg7 8. Ra7+ (8. Nf5+ 8. .. Kf7 9. Ra7+ Kf6) (8. Ra7+ Kh6 9. Rb7 a1=Q
10. Rxb6+ Kxh5 11. Rb5+ Kg4 12. Rb4 Qxa6 13. Kg2 (13. Kg2) 13. .. Qd6 14.
Nc2+ Kg5 15. Rb5+ Kh4 16. Rb4+ Kh5 17. Rb5+ Kg6 18. Ne3 Qf4 19. Rb6+ Kg7
20. Rb3 Kf7 21. Nf5 Ke6 22. Re3+ Kf6 23. Rf3 Qg4+ 24. Kf2 Ke5 25. Ng3 Kd6
26. Rd3+ Kc6 27. Ne2 Kb6 28. Rd4) etc....

This is the correct solution for White to find a Draw:

1. Nf5+Kd8 2. Ra8+!(2. Nxd4a2 3. Rb7a1=Q 4. Rxb6Qxd4 5. a7Qe5+ 6. Kg2Qd5+ 7. Kg3Kxd7)
2... Kxd7 3. a7 Ra4 4. Rg8!! The only good square for the rook. The reason will be revealed next move.
4... Rba6 5. Nh6!! One of the most amazing moves ever, but stockfish evaluate this position as -6.30 give me a break, in some position engine are useless! White is threatening perpetual check all along the board, and black is unable to prevent it!
5... Rh4+ 6. Kg3 Rha4 7. Kh2 etc...
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

mschribr wrote:
The answer is no. How do you think Carlsen became such a powerful player?

He trained against computers all his life. He plays like a machine as he was able to adopt such powerful tactical abilities from computer chess.
Terry McCracken