Stockfish DD: a new official release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Lion »

Thanks.

What is the difference with the version we can find here http://abrok.eu/stockfish/

And which one is stronger ?

Thanks again for your work.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
mcostalba wrote:This release is dedicated to Don.
Nice thought. :)
Indeed and thanks for the release....

I'll include this version of Stockfish in my private rating list....

Don will be remembered regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ryan Benitez wrote:Stockfish is an amazing project in that it is possibly the worlds strongest chess engine and there is almost nothing to learn from the source code. Everything it does was well known to programmers in 2005 but Stockfish put together a great test method and implemented the existing ideas in a more consistent and probably better tuned way. Another great part of Stockfish is that it shows that eventually the GPL wins over the Clone Groups (TM). Don beating the clones as well is a pleasant surprise and a testament to his skill. It is sad that Don is no longer with us, he and Stockfish are the primary reasons that computer chess has recently become interesting again for the first time since about 2005.
Even after his death,Don assured the computer chess world that his legendary work will continue....

This fact alone speaks volumes about Don Daily regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

Thanks for the new release. I was in trouble selecting one or two
amongst daily relesead compiles. Now I can include both this release
and latest Ipman compile in my tests.

Keep up the great team work.
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
lech

Post by lech »

Vinvin wrote:I would prefer the name entire "Stockfish Don Dailey".
Indeed, in the future someone can read DD as e.g. Dirty Dancing. :?
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Thanks to Stockfish team for this new release.
And its a very nice gesture towards Don.

lech wrote:
It does not matter how in future someone will call this version, besides the real reason. Any with 1+ neurone will ask why its called "DD" and it will find anywhere its because Don.

(Dumb Deduction) :D
lech

Post by lech »

IGarcia wrote:Thanks to Stockfish team for this new release.
And its a very nice gesture towards Don.

lech wrote:
It does not matter how in future someone will call this version, besides the real reason. Any with 1+ neurone will ask why its called "DD" and it will find anywhere its because Don.

(Dumb Deduction) :D
Maybe thanks to the "dumb deduction:" someone will try to find the information in downloaded files or the Stockfish's www only. :D
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ryan Benitez wrote:Stockfish is an amazing project in that it is possibly the worlds strongest chess engine and there is almost nothing to learn from the source code. Everything it does was well known to programmers in 2005 but Stockfish put together a great test method and implemented the existing ideas in a more consistent and probably better tuned way. Another great part of Stockfish is that it shows that eventually the GPL wins over the Clone Groups (TM). Don beating the clones as well is a pleasant surprise and a testament to his skill. It is sad that Don is no longer with us, he and Stockfish are the primary reasons that computer chess has recently become interesting again for the first time since about 2005.
I disagree with the opinion that there is almost nothing to learn from the source code.

The source code is what makes stockfish significantly stronger than programs of 2005
There is a reason for it(and not only testing) and I believe that it is possible to understand a lot of the reasons.

I do not claim to understand the reasons and I did not try to do it but the way to learn should be to give a logical reason for every part that helps in the code.

For example something that it not related to stockfish:
If a player does not understand why the rook is better than the bishop I can explain that the rook has the following advantages relative to bishop:
1)It controls more squares on the board
2)It can be in every square in the board when the bishop can go only to half of the squares.

Basically every part that is productive has some logical reason behind it(even if you do not understand it) and I think that the way to learn
is to try to discover what are the reasons.
lech

Post by lech »

Stocksih likes the squeezying lemon. Only niner point in search is a new very deep idea (who is the author ?) added to version 222.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Very Nice to remember Don this Way.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....