Best chess program for iPad

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Best chess program for iPad

Post by reflectionofpower »

I don't have an iPad but a friend of mine does and he downloaded a chess app but the graphics are cheesy. Anyone know of one that is pleasing to the eye AND powerful?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Best chess program for iPad

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Chess Pro which is actually the Chess Tiger engine packed in a marvellous GUI for the iPad....

Preety strong with a lot features included....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Milton

Post by Milton »

Hi I use Stockfish for iPad.
Alex54

Post by Alex54 »

HIARCS, Stockfish ( SmallFish) and Chess Pro (Chess Tiger), in this order, are the best apps for iPad at the moment.
HIARCS for its style, high playing level and most complete GUI. It is the program with best results on handsets, either with humans , including GMs, or other programs. Last iPad version is 13.6 ( HIARCS 14), World Software Champion in Yokohama last August.
Stockfish calculates on my iPad Air nearly 1.300.000 nps, the fastest chess program on a handheld device, just now, due to its A7 64 bit SoC.
Chess Tiger, by Christopher Theron, has been a myth for many years. Style and strength combined together in a special and very personal way. Its iPad GUI is very complete and pedagogical.
Another two MUST for iPad are Chessbase Online and playchess.com

Alex54
chetday

Post by chetday »

reflectionofpower wrote:I don't have an iPad but a friend of mine does and he downloaded a chess app but the graphics are cheesy. Anyone know of one that is pleasing to the eye AND powerful?
I play Chess Tiger on my wife's iPad and I like the program a lot.
royb

Post by royb »

Alex54 wrote:HIARCS, Stockfish ( SmallFish) and Chess Pro (Chess Tiger), in this order, are the best apps for iPad at the moment.
HIARCS for its style, high playing level and most complete GUI. It is the program with best results on handsets, either with humans , including GMs, or other programs. Last iPad version is 13.6 ( HIARCS 14), World Software Champion in Yokohama last August.
Stockfish calculates on my iPad Air nearly 1.300.000 nps, the fastest chess program on a handheld device, just now, due to its A7 64 bit SoC.
Chess Tiger, by Christopher Theron, has been a myth for many years. Style and strength combined together in a special and very personal way. Its iPad GUI is very complete and pedagogical.
Another two MUST for iPad are Chessbase Online and playchess.com

Alex54
I would argue that Stockfish 4 is the strongest playing program on the iPad. While Hiarcs has a long history of strong performances on various handheld devices going back more than a few years, it is almost certainly weaker than Stockfish on the iPad.

I am a fan of both, but Stockfish is the stronger program though I have no dataset of game results that would provide proof. It's something you can feel when using the program for analysis of GM games -- Stockfish sees good moves noticeably sooner than Hiarcs in LOTS of games.
Lion

Post by Lion »

I have played a few games between the 2 on my iPad Air and it was obvious that Stockfish outperformed Hiarcs.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I didn't install Stockfish on my iPad 4 as I have it on my PC....

But a new version Chess Tiger is exotic to have....

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

As these are not available for the PC users....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I didn't install Stockfish on my iPad 4 as I have it on my PC....

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D
Man, You want the world! :P
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I didn't install Stockfish on my iPad 4 as I have it on my PC....

I plan to purchase:

iGrandmaster
tChess
The Crazy Bishop Pro
ChessGenius

Dr.D
I am with you in that I REALLY love the Chess Tiger (ChessPro) app on the Ipad! FUn and elegant and educational.

tChess to me is overrated but a lot of people love it. iGrandmaster is ok and I haven't bothered with ChessGenius as I did not like it on my droid phone.