Most Popular Chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which Chess GUI do you use?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Arena
23%
Fritz
31%
Aquarium
10%
Tarrasch
1%
Shredder
12%
Winboard
9%
Chesspad
1%
XBoard
7%
HIARCS
7%

Total votes: 170

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Most Popular Chess GUI

Post by ouachita »

This question has become increasingly relevant in light of the increased usage of TB.

For example, Chessbase says, "We plan that the DF 14 GUI program should support the Syzygy TableBases Format in the future."

If I omitted a popular one it will be added.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Albert Silver

Re: Most Popular Chess GUI

Post by Albert Silver »

ouachita wrote:This question has become increasingly relevant in light of the increased usage of TB.

For example, Chessbase says, "We plan that the DF 14 GUI program should support the Syzygy TableBases Format in the future."

If I omitted a popular one it will be added.
In the future? They already do.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

I use SCID.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Where is ChessGUI ?
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

This will easily be Fritz ... nothing really comes close. Sure it can be frustrating when they don't fix silly bugs and customer support is non existant, but it still is the best thing out there and it has recently added some really useful things like being able to look at a game and use computer time used by others who have analyzed the same game and lines, or look immediately at a game and know who has played such a line and what the results were. Also a lot of stuff that used to be only available with Chessbase. Actually I don't know why Chessbase is still being sold! Is there anything important that Chessbase does that the latest Fritz doesn't do?
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

CositasBuenas wrote:I use SCID.
Me too.
Marek Soszynski
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

M ANSARI wrote: it has recently added some really useful things like being able to look at a game and use computer time used by others who have analyzed the same game and lines
Would be even better if they wouldn't pollute the engine analyses with their crappy Fritz 13 engine at the expense of Komodo and such.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

M ANSARI wrote:This will easily be Fritz
Maybe my poll should have included DF12, 13 and 14?
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

After the first 42 votes, we see Fritz, Shredder and Arena as the three most popular interfaces, which is a totally normal result almost everyone would have expected. I use the same but I could not quantify the frequency.

With more "chessplayers only" among the members, not being computer chess aficionados, I am sure many would have missed the ChessBase database interface, in addition or alternatively to Fritz, among the choices.

Also, I use "Chess Hero" sometimes but that is not an allround GUI but one specifically dedicated for a certain type of training. Probably not a very popular one, but great! :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

ouachita wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:This will easily be Fritz
Maybe my poll should have included DF12, 13 and 14?
Why is there anything wrong with DF 14?? I just downloaded it and will install it. I was looking forward to having it in native 64bit! I do agree that it would be nice if they gave us the option of not installing the Fritz engine!