Infinite Anaysis - Most Suitable Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

leavenfish

Infinite Anaysis - Most Suitable Engines

Post by leavenfish »

Would anyone venture forth their best opinions on what engine performs best under Chessbase Deep Analysis mode? My gut instinct would say: The latest Komodo for positions of a more quite or positional nature and the latest Stockfish for the more active positions (largely because it looks so deep, so quickly). And maybe if you only wanted to use 1 engine to use the deep analysis function on many different positions, Houdini 4.

Given the nature of the function, I would say time is of little importance....run it at night or when I am otherwise preoccupied.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: Infinite Anaysis - Most Suitable Engines

Post by ouachita »

I need to preface these comments by first stating that I have reached an ICCF 2430-2440 rating with relatively limited engine support and little engine testing, such as those posted here, except over the past two months or so.

On the other hand, for some largely inexplicable reason, a disproportionately large percentage of my engine analysis has been in DPA. My experiences to-date therein has been almost entirely in the use of Rybka (2008-2010) and Houdini (2010-2013).

DPA is apparently something of a mystery to the folks at Chessbase too, because for approx. 50% of my questions, they simply send me the link to a site that I will have to find and post here later.

I have not concluded that certain positions in DPA consistently substantially favor one engine or the other.

Your comment about SF looking deep is true, but you can specify how deep you want DPA to look, so in conventional terms, DPA will help you look deeper than otherwise.

The fact is that the more you use it the more it will make sense to you.

Hope this helps you some.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
leavenfish

Re: Infinite Anaysis - Most Suitable Engines

Post by leavenfish »

I was at 2398 when I quit ICCF...over a decade ago. My last tournament was a WCh Quarterfinal. Honestly, I was having trouble against the engines...

Now I actually do use them - to tidy up my OTB repertoire. That is why I was asking about them in conjunction with the ChessBase Infinite Analysis feature. I find Aquarium...a bit too involved/complicated. Actually, the new Chess Position Trainer seems to do a good job of stepping thru all your lines looking for possible improvements. That may be good enough for me in the end, but I keep going back to the deep position analysis and trying different engines with it.

Yes, if you can find the link to that site, it would be much appreciated. I have not seen anything with regards to it.