Touchy issue, but we have to talk about it...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Re: Touchy issue, but we have to talk about it...

Post by Peter Skinner »

Rebel wrote:
JuLieN wrote:Maybe it's time to move Talkchess to a place we (Talkchess' users) can control ? I've been told the database would be around 500 GB, which is a lot to host and to move...
We have been here before. I can believe a monthly data traffic of 500Gb but not the database itself. The old CCC archives of 1997-2006 is just 1Gb unzipped and I may assume (good) forum software zips its storage. Perhaps you should ask again.
If this site only uses 500GB, I'll host it. Free of charge to the community. Forever. Hell, if it's under 5TB/month, I will throw this site on one of my boxes and we can update until the cows come home.

I host several websites for people here and other than the domain costs of $10/year, I haven't asked for a dime. They can confirm at their leisure.

I could have sworn that at one point a number of 6-7TB of data was used monthly.

If I'm wrong, I have a simple solution to all this. The membership only needs to agree. Possibly someone can approach the current sponsors about transferring the domain name.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Peter Skinner wrote:...

I host several websites for people here and other than the domain costs of $10/year, I haven't asked for a dime. They can confirm at their leisure.

Peter
Peter hosted my site for years without asking for money.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Maybe Jeremy of open-chess is willing to provide his stats (monthly data traffic & database size). It's not so hard then to make an estimation for CCC.
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

jdart wrote:I am an old guy. I don't do anything on my phone but make phone calls. And I'm not so attached to talkchess that I have to have it everywhere I go. Sorry, but that is just not a problem I have.

--Jon
This is the sort of comment that very much reminds my grandpa's usual saying: "When I was of your age we did not have this ... blablabla" :)
Think for a minute this is not about you, it's about the CC community. Do you care about this community? Modernizing means it will be more attractive to more people to join, more discussions and activity in general. Even if you do not make use of a "small screen", you will definitely benefit from that.

BTW, accessing content through the mobile device is not a matter of some being "so attached to talkchess". We do this even at home, it's sometimes more convenient than turning on the laptop/desktop...

not that young guy regards,
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

mbabigian wrote:You have now convinced everyone that something called "VPS" which 90% here don't have a clue about is needed and inferred that it is so expensive the problem is unsolvable because no one will pay for it.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48593

No, the vast majority will not.

If I was Sam, I'd take up Peter's offer, but I'm not so sure about what Your Move will say.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Rebel wrote:
JuLieN wrote:Maybe it's time to move Talkchess to a place we (Talkchess' users) can control ? I've been told the database would be around 500 GB, which is a lot to host and to move...
We have been here before. I can believe a monthly data traffic of 500Gb but not the database itself. The old CCC archives of 1997-2006 is just 1Gb unzipped and I may assume (good) forum software zips its storage. Perhaps you should ask again.
If this site only uses 500GB, I'll host it. Peter
NO YOU WON'T! It is the communities decision, not your decision!
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Sean Evans wrote:
NO YOU WON'T! It is the communities decision, not your decision!
It absolutely is. I made an offer and if the community so chooses to take me up on it, I will be glad to honour my offer.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

No it's not. It's ChessUSA's decision. The forum is not owned by the community but by the sponsor who controls it and financially responsible for it.
gerold

Post by gerold »

kinderchocolate wrote:No it's not. It's ChessUSA's decision. The forum is not owned by the community but by the sponsor who controls it and financially responsible for it.
Seems we been down this road before. :) Always the same ending.:)
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

mbabigian wrote:I'm not sure I understand why the process is made to sound so complex/expensive. Hosting providers have unlimited bandwidth/ Unlimited storage plans for about $10 per month. Intro rates for signing up for 3 years are as low as $4 per month. So even if just a few motivated people (who want high tech access) contributed every year, the fee would be covered in full.
Agree, I only pay about $120 for the entire year to host olympuschess.com I spun off a VM using linode.com so I would have a complete system to myself (root) which is what I use for OICS and CGOS and was paying $20/month for that. However just last night I came across digitalocean.com and will be migrating to it. That is only $5 a month with 20gigs of SSD disk access.

I started hosting a PhPBB as well for the go community but it hasn't taken off yet. computergo.org

Just my $0.02 :) I love talkchess and I do read it from my android phone and my kindle tablet but format hasn't been an issue for me.

-Josh