Touchy issue, but we have to talk about it...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Re: Touchy issue, but we have to talk about it...

Post by Sam Hull »

Sean Evans wrote:Yes, many times, Sam advises the admin
I'm the admin. I advise myself?
Sean Evans wrote:about *he* has determined may get ChessUSA in trouble etc and it gets deleted.
That's a flat lie.

-Sam-
Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

JuLieN wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Peter,
Peter Skinner wrote:(...)If I were to host the CCC, nothing would change, except who pays for the server. (...)
Sounds wonderful!

What do we need to do to make this happen?

Steve

P.S. I'd be happy to contribute to a hosting fund
I asked Sam two days ago, in the mod sub forum, if, as an admin, he could retrieve the database, and what it would take to get the rights on the domain name transferred to the new host, but Sam hasn't replied yet. I guess we have to wait for Sam's answer.
Sam is waiting for ChessUSA's answer, and ChessUSA is waiting for info from the hosting service. Be patient. My discussion with them started well before this thread did.

-Sam-
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Sam Hull wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:about *he* has determined may get ChessUSA in trouble etc and it gets deleted.
That's a flat lie.

-Sam-
Okay Sam, so who stated that Ippo/Robbo links could not be posted at forum! That was you through the moderators! There have been other links too!

Cordially,

Sean
Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Sean Evans wrote:
Sam Hull wrote:
That's a flat lie.

-Sam-
Okay Sam, so who stated that Ippo/Robbo links could not be posted at forum! That was you through the moderators! There have been other links too!

Cordially,

Sean
The charter says that material of questionable legal status should not be posted. This is a good policy that protects both our host and the membership here. When Ippo etc. appeared it fell into this category and CCC mods at that time decided to keep those links out of the forum. I did not make that decision. I did not write the charter. I have no involvement whatsoever with moderation decisions in this forum - ask any CCC mod past or present.

You should not listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

-Sam-
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Joshua mentioned digitalocean.com. Wouldn't be a good host for this site.

I've been using their $5/mo. 20 gb ssd plan for 6 months and it's been down several times already. In 20 years of webmastering it's been the least stable hosting provider I've used. Today, for example, their dns service was down. They offer a useful service if you need to set up something quickly, with root access to the 'box' and don't mind if the server's unreachable a few hours each month.

If I were moving this site my first thought would be to clone the current drive and send that to, or grab that from, the new server.