15 minute Post Edit Restriction

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Should TalkChess "15 minute Post Edit Rule" be changed?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Yes
11%
No
52%
Yes with no time restriction
13%
Yes with less than 24 hours time restriction
20%
Yes with greater than 24 hours time restriction
4%

Total votes: 54

beachknight

Re: 15 minute Post Edit Restriction

Post by beachknight »

zullil wrote:
beachknight wrote:
jdart wrote:Some blogs and forums do not allow editing submitted posts at all. I think 15 minutes is reasonable myself. The rationale is that if you have replies to the post or if someone is composing a reply, it can be confusing to have the parent post change.

--Jon
I totally agree with 15 minutes as reasonable.
Best,
If it were 240 minutes, you could simply edit and update your search reports, rather than replying to yourself and creating long chains of posts like you currently do. :D

[EDIT] Like here: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ew=threads
good point. but only for me :)
as a general rule I still think 15 min as reasonable. :D
Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

zullil wrote:
ouachita wrote:Let's vote on whether or not this rule should be changed:

"You are not allowed to edit your post. You have to edit your post within 15 minutes, after you posted your message."

I find it very annoying.
I find it frustrating, since I often spot a typo twenty minutes after I've submitted my post :D . Also, when a search is running, it's convenient to be able to edit to provide updates, and 15 minutes isn't enough time.

I think I'd be happy with an hour or two.
same here... 15 is too little, maybe 1 hour is better.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

beachknight wrote: good point. but only for me :)

Best,
No, for me too. When deep searches are running and we want to post results, the 15 minute limit is a genuine impediment.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

ouachita wrote:Let's vote on whether or not this rule should be changed:

"You are not allowed to edit your post. You have to edit your post within 15 minutes, after you posted your message."

I find it very annoying.
Whilst it can be annoying, I can understand the restriction.
If I really want a post edited after the 15 minutes is up, I can always ask a mod to edit it for me.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

ouachita wrote:and some have no time restrictions on editing posts
No restrictions on editing can lead to chaos and manipulation. Not a good idea, imho.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I believe that if you hit the edit button in your post within 15 minutes, you are allowed to post the changes longer than the timelimit and if someone else replies to your post or to the thread in the mean time, at the bottom it is displayed how many times you edited the post. So for analysis posts where you foresee a later addendum this method, is usable if only once per post I think, but it can be a bit confusing in a busy thread.

Compare it to Googlegroups where the only method of editing is deleting your own post, but it stays as a line "This post was deleted" I know it is a free service and it is great to have a whole forum for Stockfish alone but the editing non possibility is annoying in 2014. Mediocre programming. Also, by default every post is duplicated as e-mail to the other respondents, which is also annoying most of the time. I am not registered there officially, maybe that makes a difference for the editing but I have not seen anyone else edit their posts. Big Brother Google does not like not being able to register everything that is posted everywhere, for an indefinite period of time.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan