15 minute Post Edit Restriction

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Should TalkChess "15 minute Post Edit Rule" be changed?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Yes
11%
No
52%
Yes with no time restriction
13%
Yes with less than 24 hours time restriction
20%
Yes with greater than 24 hours time restriction
4%

Total votes: 54

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

15 minute Post Edit Restriction

Post by ouachita »

Let's vote on whether or not this rule should be changed:

"You are not allowed to edit your post. You have to edit your post within 15 minutes, after you posted your message."

I find it very annoying.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
jdart

Re: 15 minute Post Edit Restriction

Post by jdart »

Some blogs and forums do not allow editing submitted posts at all. I think 15 minutes is reasonable myself. The rationale is that if you have replies to the post or if someone is composing a reply, it can be confusing to have the parent post change.

--Jon
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

and some have no time restrictions on editing posts
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

ouachita wrote:Let's vote on whether or not this rule should be changed:

"You are not allowed to edit your post. You have to edit your post within 15 minutes, after you posted your message."

I find it very annoying.
I find it frustrating, since I often spot a typo twenty minutes after I've submitted my post :D . Also, when a search is running, it's convenient to be able to edit to provide updates, and 15 minutes isn't enough time.

I think I'd be happy with an hour or two.
bob

Post by bob »

I think 15 minutes is too short. But an indefinite time period won't work because threads will become confusing if someone changes a post from last week.

I'd prefer maybe an hour or two to allow someone to respond and point out a glaring typo or error that needs to be fixed, but even 24 hours seems like it is a little long, but at least that should be an upper limit.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If there are no replies yet, you can always delete the post, and repost it. There is no time limit on that.

If you have already been quoted, you cannot edit the quote anyway, no matter how much time you would have been given to edit the original.

So I think 15 min is fine.
arjuntemurnikar

Post by arjuntemurnikar »

An infinite limit is alright as long as the OP edits his post properly by using, for example the "EDIT: " tag. This behavior is normal and most prevalent in modern forums such as reddit and stackexchange, and it doesn't hurt one bit. So I vote YES.

(I think the folks over here on talkchess are a little lagging behind the times... ) 8-)

EDIT: This is an edit, yo!
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

arjuntemurnikar wrote:An infinite limit is alright as long as the OP edits his post properly by using, for example the "EDIT: " tag. This behavior is normal and most prevalent in modern forums such as reddit and stackexchange, and it doesn't hurt one bit. So I vote YES.

(I think the folks over here on talkchess are a little lagging behind the times... ) 8-)

EDIT: This is an edit, yo!
I do agree here with you,yo 8-)

Breaking Bad sends its regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

jdart wrote:Some blogs and forums do not allow editing submitted posts at all. I think 15 minutes is reasonable myself. The rationale is that if you have replies to the post or if someone is composing a reply, it can be confusing to have the parent post change.

--Jon
I totally agree with 15 minutes as reasonable.
Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

beachknight wrote:
jdart wrote:Some blogs and forums do not allow editing submitted posts at all. I think 15 minutes is reasonable myself. The rationale is that if you have replies to the post or if someone is composing a reply, it can be confusing to have the parent post change.

--Jon
I totally agree with 15 minutes as reasonable.
Best,
If it were 240 minutes, you could simply edit and update your search reports, rather than replying to yourself and creating long chains of posts like you currently do. :D

[EDIT] Like here: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ew=threads