Magnus Carlsen checkmates Bill Gates in 9 moves!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Magnus Carlsen checkmates Bill Gates in 9 moves!

Post by Terry McCracken »

S.Taylor wrote:
chetday wrote:Wow, even I could defeat Bill Gates at chess if this game's indicative of how well he plays.
Bill GATES?
If this was indicative of how CARLSEN plays, i might be able to beat HIM.
He knew...he could beat most players under 2000 a full Rook down without compensation.
Terry McCracken
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Gates played to Carlsen's strength. To be fair they should have also played to Gates's strength. Gates knows PCs. Gates should have used a PC with Houdini. Who wins now?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

mschribr wrote:Gates played to Carlsen's strength. To be fair they should have also played to Gates's strength. Gates knows PCs. Gates should have used a PC with Houdini. Who wins now?
If you give both sides 30 seconds for all the game in OTB game
then Carlsen is going to win again because Gates is going to lose on time(finding what houdini suggests and copying it to the board takes time)
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Uri Blass wrote:
mschribr wrote:Gates played to Carlsen's strength. To be fair they should have also played to Gates's strength. Gates knows PCs. Gates should have used a PC with Houdini. Who wins now?
If you give both sides 30 seconds for all the game in OTB game
then Carlsen is going to win again because Gates is going to lose on time(finding what houdini suggests and copying it to the board takes time)
Ok. 15 minutes should be enough time for Gates to clobber Carlsen.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Bill Gates should have partnered with Google to use their Google glasses. He should have won easily
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Bill Gates should have partnered with Google to use their Google glasses. He should have won easily
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Carlsen should play Larry Page or Sergey Brin with Google glasses. That would be more interesting.
Milos

Post by Milos »

gerold wrote:
arjuntemurnikar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NwnSltHFo

Enjoy. Haha!
Gates needs to stick to making millions. :) What he does best. :)

Thanks for the link.
Gates is the second richest guy on the planet who had an immense influence on computer development and quality of life of ppl in general.
And this is probably well known to majority of the ppl on this planet.
On the other hand Magnus is just some arrogant kid that 95% of the ppl on the planet didn't even hear of, playing some stupid obscure game.
And by the way, even my cellphone is noticeably stronger in that game than MC.
I bet some Korean kid champion in Starcraft is known by more ppl than Magnus (I didn't want to use Psy as a reference point coz his level of popularity is at least 5 orders of magnitude higher than MC's).
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

mschribr wrote:Carlsen should play Larry Page or Sergey Brin with Google glasses. That would be more interesting.
1 min vs 1 min, MC wins 10-0, all of them on time by move 30. The translation from the glasses to your brain and arm will kill you. A robot will play a better game at that speed, might still lose on time probably.

Miguel
Milos

Post by Milos »

michiguel wrote:
mschribr wrote:Carlsen should play Larry Page or Sergey Brin with Google glasses. That would be more interesting.
1 min vs 1 min, MC wins 10-0, all of them on time by move 30. The translation from the glasses to your brain and arm will kill you. A robot will play a better game at that speed, might still lose on time probably.

Miguel
Why the board has to be physical, just to give MC advantage? Let me use my tablet screen to enter moves (Carlsen can use other tablet or PC without chess software connected over wifi to mine) and in 10 games 1min vs. 1min, MC would be lucky with 1 or 2 draws.