Houdini 3/4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Houdini 3/4?

Post by cc2150dx »

I already own Houdini 3 x64.

I was thinking about buying Houdini 4, but why is Houdini 4 better than 3?

Does it have a different playing style, higher nps/ search etc?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
royb

Re: Houdini 3/4?

Post by royb »

Houdini 4 seems only a little stronger than Houdini 3 from what I have seen from the various rating lists. Stockfish is a better bet in my book, and it is free as well.
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

royb wrote:Houdini 4 seems only a little stronger than Houdini 3 from what I have seen from the various rating lists. Stockfish is a better bet in my book, and it is free as well.
http://stockfishchess.org/
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

cc2150dx wrote:I already own Houdini 3 x64.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Playing style is similar to Houdini 3. nps is slightly lower. Strength improvement is about 40 Elo at blitz TC (see for example IPON, CEGT, SWCR...). And additionally there's Syzygy support.
royb wrote:Houdini 4 seems only a little stronger than Houdini 3 from what I have seen from the various rating lists. Stockfish is a better bet in my book, and it is free as well.
Not so long ago a 40 point increase would have been labeled "significant", nowadays apparently it's just "a little stronger". :shock:
This kind of advice shows that Stockfish is effectively killing commercial engines...

Cheers,
Robert
royb

Post by royb »

Houdini wrote:

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Playing style is similar to Houdini 3. nps is slightly lower. Strength improvement is about 40 Elo at blitz TC (see for example IPON, CEGT, SWCR...). And additionally there's Syzygy support.
Not so long ago a 40 point increase would have been labeled "significant", nowadays apparently it's just "a little stronger". :shock:
This kind of advice shows that Stockfish is effectively killing commercial engines...

Cheers,
Robert
As long as people value a stronger engine more than other features, it will be all about measured ELO. An advanced GUI that provides features in combination with an engine that is sufficiently strong to meet the user's analysis needs is another direction that engine authors take. Yes, GUI development is very different from engine development from what I hear, but perhaps a partnership between an engine author and a solid GUI developer would be useful? Rybka has Aquarium, however it seems overly complex for many users. Perhaps some of those ideas implemented in a way that makes things easier to use would be a winner?

The idea of building a much better GUI is not new and some on this forum have previously advocated for a better GUI than what was offered at the time, but so far, higher ELO seems to be what is driving the development efforts.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Houdini wrote:

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Cheers,
Robert
:cry: I send you a check OK!
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

Houdini wrote:. . . Stockfish is effectively killing commercial engines...
Cheers, Robert
Most people here agree that it has or will. Personally, I would like to see parity maintained or established at the top of the ranking lists.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Houdini wrote: Not so long ago a 40 point increase would have been labeled "significant", nowadays apparently it's just "a little stronger". :shock:

Cheers,
Robert
Not really. They have just been spoiled by the gains of Rybka and Houdini, and when these are not matched, there is disappointment. I do not think Stockfish has anything to do with this. Prior to Rybka, when Shredder and Fritz were the regular kings, 20-30 Elo in a year was considered significant, and people would test with a tactical test suite.

The along came Rybka, and for a few years it was 100 Elo a year. When Rybka 4 came out with only 30-35 Elo gained, it was announced a ripoff.

Houdini 3 was a huge gain over Houdini 2, and now Houdini 4 is less. I would say you are a victim of your own success.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Houdini wrote:

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Cheers,
Robert
If a group of individuals with no profit motive are out performing a group of individuals with profit motives. By providing a better product. This does not speak badly of the first group, only the second group.

Profits + R&D = Greater Innovation.

If the second group is failing in this formula, it is not the fault of the first group.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Milos

Post by Milos »

mwyoung wrote:If a group of individuals with no profit motive are out performing a group of individuals with profit motives. By providing a better product. This does not speak badly of the first group, only the second group.

Profits + R&D = Greater Innovation.

If the second group is failing in this formula, it is not the fault of the first group.
Many ppl with ego boosting motives if they are well coordinated certainly surpass a single individual with profit motive.
Thanks to Gary, ppl that have no other valuable accomplishment in their lives can suddenly start feeling important :P.
Problem is that usually doesn't last long...